• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Building A New Website With Old Content?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ykyant

ykyant

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:15 AM

Hello All,

Sorry for my bad English since I'm not a naive speaker.

I have a small business website that run well for over 10 years, and it ranked well in Google, top 5 over the past 2 years on a specific keyword. I did everything myself, and study from here.

Half year ago, I decided to target few more keywords and hired a SEO company. They handle most of the works for me, article postings, social media, link buildings..etc. It is kind of no choice situation at that time as I have a daytime job, and other commitment in life. 

The rankings ran well until last Friday's Google penguin update. My website was disappeared from Google. Only some of my articles pages get listed but not well, and my index/home page is really gone, or at least out of hundreds.

I'm trying to disavows those bad links now, and keep my finger crossed. It is kind of passive situation as I can't do anything except this, am I right?

Now I think it is better to build a new website, at least very clean profile and it is more proactive approach. I have the following questions, and hope you guys give me a light.

Shall I "copy" most of the content from my old site, or it is better to rewrite and redesign everything? As you can imagine, I have many articles written by myself and it is hard for me get a new idea to on a same topic.

In case I create a similar content of a new website, will Google "think" it is a duplication and punish my new website too?

Lastly, what happen to my old website if it get out from penalty a year later? Shall I just cancel the old domain or just let it be?

Thanks very much for reading this and hope you can give me an advice!

Regards

Tony

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:15 AM

Unless you've received a message from Google about the site being penalized, I don't think you should conclude that the site should be abandoned. In fact, even if you did receive such a message, there's a lot you can still do to try to save it.

Do you know for certain that links are the cause of the problem, or have you just decided that's it because the drop in traffic coincides with a Penguin update? If you are sure it's about links, do you have a good idea of which ones are problematic and why? Have you tried having those links taken down? Have you tried disavowing them? Have you thought about writing a reconsideration request?

And this probably should have been my first question: you mention that rankings are down, but what about traffic from organic search? Were those rankings actually resulting in traffic back when you had them?

#3 ykyant

ykyant

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:31 AM

Hello Qwerty,

That is a very good question, I guess I need to wait another week to compare the traffic from organic search, but I do agree that some of the higher ranking keyword doesn't really convert to our sales.

I'm not certain that links are the cause of the problem.I have downloaded a list from Google webmaster tools, below is a short reference...

Red color mean Spam links, Green color is our "organic work". I do think it is about links. What do you think?

If I need to disavows those spamming links, shall I do it aggressively, or try to disavows top few and wait to see the result?

Thanks a lot!

Domains Links Linked pages

xxx 78 5

xxx 56 7

xxx 39 2

xxx 22 22

xxx 15 2

xxx 14 5

xxx 13 2      

xxx 11 6

xxx 11 1

xxx 10 1

xxx 9 2

xxx 7 3

xxx 7 2

xxx 7 2

xxx 7 1

xxx 6 1

xxx 6 3

xxx 6 3

xxx 5 4

xxx 5 2

Edited by qwerty, 10 October 2013 - 06:03 AM.
Removed domain names

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:03 AM

Sorry, but I had to delete all those domain names. [url=http://www.highrankings.com/forum/index.php?act=boardrules]Forum Rules[/url].

But if anyone is interested in checking out the list, they can send you a private message.

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:43 AM

Red color mean Spam links

How do you KNOW they are 'spam links', in reality 'spammy links'  can ONLY be ones that you, or an entity working on your behalf or at your behest have placed. Links that simply 'appear' from scrapers, aggregators and the like, are not ones that you have requested, therefore are outside of your control and as such are not worth the time taken to 'disavow', Google know how such links appear and will simply ignore them as a 'collateral event'

The disavow tool is meant for links that YOU HAVE requested or placed prior to learning some sense about such things.

#6 ykyant

ykyant

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:11 AM

Sorry, but I had to delete all those domain names. [url=http://www.highrankings.com/forum/index.php?act=boardrules]Forum Rules[/url].

But if anyone is interested in checking out the list, they can send you a private message.

Thanks... I should do that at the beginning.

How do you KNOW they are 'spam links', in reality 'spammy links'  can ONLY be ones that you, or an entity working on your behalf or at your behest have placed. Links that simply 'appear' from scrapers, aggregators and the like, are not ones that you have requested, therefore are outside of your control and as such are not worth the time taken to 'disavow', Google know how such links appear and will simply ignore them as a 'collateral event'

The disavow tool is meant for links that YOU HAVE requested or placed prior to learning some sense about such things.

Well... then I really don't know what should I do next.

For me, I will only keep that link if it has "meaning", eg. not just a URL with keywords, but a meaningful content that is related to my website/page.

Can you give me a direction here?

Sorry Qwerty, do you think I should disavows these top few?

#7 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:44 AM

For me, I will only keep that link if it has "meaning", eg. not just a URL with keywords, but a meaningful content that is related to my website/page.

So you may well be trying to dump or deny the existence of  TRULY natural links, because you do not know how Google views any particular link or group of links. The simple thing to consider is;

If Google have NOT suggested that there ARE "unnatural links" to your URLs,  just leave well alone, They aren't concerned about the 'link graph' so you should not be. The introduction of the disavow tool has simply given the "experts" another stick they can dangle a carrot from, or threaten people with, in a bid to get website owners to part with money that you do not need to spend.

No warning, no foul, ... No problem!

#8 ykyant

ykyant

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:01 AM

So you may well be trying to dump or deny the existence of  TRULY natural links, because you do not know how Google views any particular link or group of links. The simple thing to consider is;

If Google have NOT suggested that there ARE "unnatural links" to your URLs,  just leave well alone, They aren't concerned about the 'link graph' so you should not be. The introduction of the disavow tool has simply given the "experts" another stick they can dangle a carrot from, or threaten people with, in a bid to get website owners to part with money that you do not need to spend.

No warning, no foul, ... No problem!

Sorry but how can I know google "suggest" that there are unnatural links? I'm not follow....

#9 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:16 AM

If you have not already validated your sites with Google Webmaster Tools, do so. Once they are verified, if Google imposes a manual penalty because of unnatural links, you will receive a warning message in your Webmaster Tools account.

--Torka :propeller:

#10 ykyant

ykyant

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:05 PM

Thanks everyone.

I don't see any messages or asking me to do manual actions so far. So I guess I don't really know why my ranking drop now.  :fool:

#11 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:10 PM

Probably a few (at least) of these SEO killers at play.

#12 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:23 AM

The answer to this:-

So I guess I don't really know why my ranking drop now

Is. ....

Because that's what rankings do.

#13 Guest_uctmecom_*

Guest_uctmecom_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:17 AM

Hi I'm Mary from REMOVED

I'm also like you, now I am start learning seo and I realized that is better to make your own page content with your own words, Im doing it also it takes time and more effort research but I guarantee no one can fake it.I don't get it with penguin in google?  

Edited by chrishirst, 23 October 2013 - 09:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.