• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Content Curation And Domain Sprawl

Best Answer Jill , 08 October 2013 - 05:13 PM

It's an entire article devoted to the fact that one should not allow low quality pages of their site to be indexed by Google. Only he's making it sound like something complicated or special. 

Yes, you definitely don't want low quality pages such as those of which he writes, but the other gobblety-gook, is just that. 

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PloughBooks

PloughBooks

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:48 PM

I read an article on "Content Curation" on Search Engine Land. I've never heard of "Domain Sprawl" before. Here's a quote:

<<Most SEOs that have been in the industry for a while would largely agree that overall domain SEO performance can be generalised to be a balance between the total backlink profile of the site (its “Authority”) and the total number of pages indexed on the domain (the total “Domain Sprawl”).>>

Basically he is recommending pruning out old pages of your site, or putting in canonical links to newer pages to trim down this ratio.

It's a new thought, would be a lot of work...can anyone tell me if you think it is worthwhile?  I have the feeling it's a time sink.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,877 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:27 PM

Would have to read the entire article, rather than just that bit out of context, but it sounds like more made up SEO mumbo jumbo. Most SEOs would certainly NOT agree on whatever the heck what you posted means. 

#3 PloughBooks

PloughBooks

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:39 PM

Here's the link

http://searchenginel...vergreen-173204

I have a pretty deep site, 500 articles or so, so I'm interested in "domain sprawl" if it is a legitimate concept. I hate taking down old articles, though, because for sure it will come up as a 404 on my webmaster tools reports.

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,580 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:01 PM

I'm not seeing a lot to agree with in there. The first example he gives of pages that should be pruned are pages that never should have been indexed.

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,877 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:13 PM   Best Answer

It's an entire article devoted to the fact that one should not allow low quality pages of their site to be indexed by Google. Only he's making it sound like something complicated or special. 

Yes, you definitely don't want low quality pages such as those of which he writes, but the other gobblety-gook, is just that. 

#6 James12

James12

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:06 AM

Strange one all round that article. Surprised SEL have it on their site.

#7 PloughBooks

PloughBooks

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:40 AM

Sounds like I'm ok, thanks very much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,