• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Starting At At Square One - Basic Beginning Steps For Social Media?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 InfoSponge

InfoSponge

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:40 PM

Hi,

I have an "old fashioned" web site that has done pretty well for our one main search term for 10 years.

But our ranking has fallen from 1-2 to 4-5 (on page 1) and it may be because we have zero social media efforts.

So, I am seeking general, high level advice on what basic steps should be done to "get social."

I see that some sites have links to social media (Twitter, Face Book, Pinterest, Google+ etc) - can I assume they are just soliciting likes?

But I also have read a little about accounts that help you manage all this (e.g. SproutSocial) so I am sure I am missing something - what do you need to do on the other end (that is, on the actual social media sites)?

And last, should I be creating blogs that point to my site? That seems a little cheesy -  my product really doesn't change much over time I can't imagine what I would keep yammering on about on a blog page...?

As you can see I am very ignorant about these new concepts. I am not asking for details here, just a few sentences offering an overview of what's important, and the steps to take to get started.

Many thanks in advance!

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,619 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:49 PM

I see that some sites have links to social media (Twitter, Face Book, Pinterest, Google+ etc) - can I assume they are just soliciting likes?

That depends on which kinds of social media buttons you're seeing. There are the ones that link to the company's profile page on a given social media property, and then there are the ones that allow the reader to share the page with their social network. The first kind is generally found on a site's home page, the About Us page, and a few others. The second kind can usually be found on product pages and blog posts.

#3 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,939 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:34 AM

But our ranking has fallen from 1-2 to 4-5 (on page 1) and it may be because we have zero social media efforts.

More likely it's because that is what 'rankings' do.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:31 AM

See What Does Social Media Have to do with SEO. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!