• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Is The Directory I'm In A Link Farm?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rosietudor

rosietudor

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:07 AM

I've just been discussing a potentially bad link profile on another thread but as this is a slightly different problem so I have started this new thread.

Basically, I had a professional link analysis done on my website due to a slow but consistant drop in rankings. It has flagged up a few potential issues, the one I would like to discuss here is a business directory in the UK that I got involved with.

I'm not sure how to use their name without advertising them but it is like torch but you would need to replace the R with a U (hope that's okay mods - if not please amend/advise?!). 

Cutting a long story short, they claim to be a local directory but I have ended up with a national listing with them which involves having a link to my website on each of their "local" sites.  Their websites have a URL of their company name followed by a location in the UK for just about every major place in the UK I can think of.  Because there are 100s of these websites that all originate from the same IP address and they all link to my website in the same fashion, I have been told this could potentially be seen as a link farm by Google.

I know paying to be in a directory is probably frowned upon as it is but is this really as bad as it seems?

#2 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,683 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:11 AM

Does your web site also have to link back to them in order for them to include the links to you?

--Torka :propeller:

#3 rosietudor

rosietudor

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:14 AM

Does your web site also have to link back to them in order for them to include the links to you?

No it doesn't

#4 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,683 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:58 AM

Then it isn't a link farm. A link farm is a set of sites where every site in the group links to every other site in the group.

That isn't to say those are necessarily "good links," however. Doesn't necessarily mean they're "bad links," either, for that matter. Just that it isn't a link farm.

You say you paid to be in there. Did you actually pay for a listing, or was it considered a "review fee" where you pay to submit your site, regardless of whether it eventually gets listed or not? If it was pay-for-listing, then you want the links to be coded "nofollow." If it was a pay-to-submit situation, then IMO there's probably no significant issue with the links. They may or may not be doing you any favors, but by the same token they shouldn't be hurting you, either.

From what I can tell, usually when Google decides to penalize "bad links" the dropoff happens all of a sudden, when they impose the penalty. If you've been seeing a gradual decline over time, I suspect it's something other than the links from this one site. It could be, of course, but it just doesn't seem to fit the pattern.

My :02:, for what it's worth.

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,083 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:32 AM

Do you receive real visitors from there? If so it's a good link. If not it's certainly not worth paying to be there and might possibly be a bad link. 

#6 rosietudor

rosietudor

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:29 AM

Hi Torka / Jill - thanks for boths your replies.

Torka, these sites are all on the same IP address and all link to one another so I would guess it does fall into the link farm category.  I do not link to them so are not part of the farm, but they link to me which was my main concern.  I won't go into the long story but I do not directly pay for the said listing (I pay for a different service of which this comes with it) but this is a directory where you can pay to be listed in the same fashion as my listing so in the eyes of Google I would guess it is a "listing I have paid for".  It seems all the links are nofollow which I guess is a good thing.

Jill, in terms of real visitors, I would say the listing probably doesn't pay for itself.  I kind of left it going as the service I pay for is relatively cheap and I thought it might have some minor link value or helping our local visibility but, on review, I would assume not if the links are nofollow?

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,083 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:24 AM

No link value with nofollow, but also no link worries (can't hurt you). 

#8 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,309 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:47 AM

these sites are all on the same IP address and all link to one another so I would guess it does fall into the link farm category

That STILL does not make them into a link farm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!