• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Do I Have Too Many "visit Homepage" Links?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rosietudor

rosietudor

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:25 AM

I've just had a professional link analysis done on my website due to a slow but consistant drop in rankings. It has flagged up a potential issue which is that I have hundreds of links coming to a page on my site with the anchor text of "visit homepage".

Basically, I have been posting on a vBulletin forum for several years and in my profile I put in a link to my site. It seems this link to my site is visable on every post I make - when you hover over my username a drop down appears with various links like view my forum profile and the said "visit homepage" which links to my site.

This link is easily removed if it is a problem but as it equates to a huge amount of backlinks to my site (albeit from the one domain) and people from the forum do use it to get in contact with me so I'm not keen to remove it unless it is 100% causing an issue to my rankings.

Removing it would take months to clear due to the number of pages Google would have to recrawl before it shows all the links as gone - some of these are really old thread posts so could be even longer than that! If I'm wrong and have to reverse the process, this would also take a similiar length of time.

I know the link(s) by itself is probably of no issue but it is when you look at my entire link profile and this one forum is making my main incoming anchor text as "visit homepage" instead of my preferred keywords it does look a bit strange.

Any help/suggestions much appreciated.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,862 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:46 AM

I would let it be. 

#3 rosietudor

rosietudor

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:06 AM

Thanks - I do hope you are right!  It makes my link profile look bad as I'm trying really hard to get rankings for keywords X, Y & Z and my main incoming anchor text is "visit homepage".

The professional that did the link analysis suggested that I do look into getting it removed but it was from a company that approached me and I am always dubious about following advice from someone that contacts me!

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,659 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:16 AM

This;

and people from the forum do use it to get in contact with me

Is the only justification you need to leave well alone [or change it to your 'contact us' or 'about us' URL.)

I am always dubious about following advice from someone that contacts me!

A wise move, especially if it is about 'SEO'!

#5 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,573 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:44 PM

This could potentially be a problem if your site was this-keyword-phrase.com, which was optimized for [this keyword phrase] and the anchor text of all those links was "this keyword phrase". That's the sort of thing that Google would probably identify as unnatural and clearly commercial in nature, that is, a concerted effort to use link anchor text to rank for a specific keyword phrase.

Instead, you've got a situation where the default anchor text that vBulletin uses for this link is sticking you with links that don't do anything to help you rank for a phrase you're trying to get traffic for. That's obviously not something you did in order to game Google's algo unless you've got a bit of an absurdist streak. It also probably means that your intent in making all these posts was not to get a bunch of links with specific anchor text. You may even have been posting because you wanted to share information with people. Imagine that ;)

#6 rosietudor

rosietudor

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:47 AM

My website is my-company-name which is in no way related to my keywords which in turn is no way related to the phrase "visit homepage"!

I gather then, reading your kind comments here, that google will look at my link profile and just ignore the main incoming anchor text and look at the rest of the profile (however right or wrong it may be).  My current profile looks similar to this:

Incoming Links:

1. "visit homepage" (67%)
  2. "keyword phrase 1" (8%)
  3. "keyword phrase 2" (6%)
  4. "keyword phrase 3" (5%)

Thanks for your great help on this - has put my mind at ease somewhat.  My site has been dropping but I've always thought it is just due to the competition I face doing more than me as opposed to my own link practices.

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,862 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:19 AM

My site has been dropping but I've always thought it is just due to the competition I face doing more than me as opposed to my own link practices.

That's much more likely. 

#8 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,659 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:18 PM

It's really quite simple. Anchor text SHOULD be a 'call to action' so if you WANT people to 'Click Here' it's perfectly acceptable to have anchor text of "Click Here" and equally, if you want people to visit the 'home page', then that IS what you should tell them to do so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!