• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Pagerank Distribution From Home Page

Best Answer torka , 02 October 2013 - 09:38 AM

It might be, but since PR is only one of about 200+ Google ranking factors (and not even the most important one, at that) and doesn't matter at all at any other search engine, is it really worth spending all that much time thinking about it? Seems to me there are so many other (more important) things to focus on...

My :02:

--Torka :propeller:

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 pinch

pinch

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:56 PM

From what I've gathered, PageRank is distributed evenly to all links on a page. So if my home page links look like this:

• Home
  • Main Category 1
  • Main Category 2
  • Main Category 3
  • About Us
  • Contact
  • Disclaimer
  • Terms of Service
  • Privacy Policy

1. Would pages other than the Home page lose juice because the Home page has a link to itself?
2. If I'm not trying to rank for any pages other than the ones in the "Main Category X" sections, am I essentially flushing half of my home page Page Rank down the toilet? Should I do this differently if I want all of the juice to go to my "Category" pages?

I know that Cutts has advised against "Page Rank" sculpting, but it seems like it would make more sense to either group the non-category pages under their own entry-page or place them deep down in the site hierarchy somewhere.

Edited by pinch, 01 October 2013 - 08:57 PM.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:37 PM

You are way over thinking this.  In this case, listen to Matt Cutts. 

#3 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:18 AM

Regarding pages such as Contact, Disclaimer, Terms of Service, Privacy Policy, and the like ....

I generally block these from search engines, either with a noindex attribute or via robots.txt. My main reason is to prevent them from "competing" with my more important pages within the search results. It's not likely that, say, the Privacy Policy page would out-rank the home page, but I don't want to risk it.

But I wouldn't put these pages "deep down in the site hierarchy", because I assume that at least some of my visitors would want to get at them easily.

I don't really know whether this is a sensible thing to do. But, if it is, it would presumably also solve the problem of "flushing half of my home page Page Rank down the toilet" (if such a problem exists).

Mike

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,101 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:58 AM

Why would you block the contact URL?

Ostensibly that could be regarded as one of the most important document URLs on your site, assuming that you actually want people to contact you. similarly the 'about us' is also what people are looking for, something that tells the visitor exactly what you can do for them.

Stop this very dated 1995 thinking that the 'home' page is THE most important document, in many cases it is the LEAST useful one to be found from search or via a direct link,

A "Welcome to [insert company name]". "Click a link to find what you wanted in the first place", is somewhat less than 'user friendly. Maybe it's time to plug Steve Krug's book "Don't make me think" again.

Any of you who run paid campaigns have no qualms about sending visitors to a specific 'inner' URL why not do the same for Search and "link building". The days of expecting site visitors to knock at the front door before coming in to your website died in 1998/1999 when Search exploded onto the virtual landscape with Google taking the lead and 'directories' started to die off.

#5 pinch

pinch

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:24 AM

Ostensibly that could be regarded as one of the most important document URLs on your site, assuming that you actually want people to contact you. similarly the 'about us' is also what people are looking for, something that tells the visitor exactly what you can do for them.

Stop this very dated 1995 thinking that the 'home' page is THE most important document, in many cases it is the LEAST useful one to be found from search or via a direct link,

A "Welcome to [insert company name]". "Click a link to find what you wanted in the first place", is somewhat less than 'user friendly. Maybe it's time to plug Steve Krug's book "Don't make me think" again.

Any of you who run paid campaigns have no qualms about sending visitors to a specific 'inner' URL why not do the same for Search and "link building". The days of expecting site visitors to knock at the front door before coming in to your website died in 1998/1999 when Search exploded onto the virtual landscape with Google taking the lead and 'directories' started to die off.

I understand that these pages are important don't plan on 'burying' them.  I was only trying to make an extreme point to determine if PR is really funneled into these pages that I have no intention of ranking for.

#6 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:38 AM   Best Answer

It might be, but since PR is only one of about 200+ Google ranking factors (and not even the most important one, at that) and doesn't matter at all at any other search engine, is it really worth spending all that much time thinking about it? Seems to me there are so many other (more important) things to focus on...

My :02:

#7 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:36 AM

Ostensibly that could be regarded as one of the most important document URLs on your site, assuming that you actually want people to contact you.

Yes, of course it's one of the most important pages on the site. And I make sure that it is easy to reach via a prominent link from every other page.

But that doesn't mean I want it to show up in search results. If someone is interested in buying one of my products, I want them to find the page that tells 'em about the product. That's the page that is the focus of my selling:  the one in which I have invested all my marketing skills and energy. By contrast, there's nothing on the Contact Us page that is going to convince them to buy the product.

It's true that if I block Contact Us from the search engines, anyone searching for my phone number or post code won't find my site in the search results. Maybe I'm losing traffic because of that. Then again, getting website traffic has never been my aim in life.

Stop this very dated 1995 thinking that the 'home' page is THE most important document

Chris, if you are addressing that remark to me, I never said anything to the contrary.

Mike

Edited by Mikl, 03 October 2013 - 06:38 AM.

#8 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,101 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:14 AM

No, that's a general comment for any future or current readers and the "experts" who believe  that nothing has changed since then.

#9 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:57 AM

We put our address and phone number in the footer of every page. That way, if somebody prints out the product information page to show their boss when asking for the money to buy it, they'll still have our contact information. I see it as a user-friendly thing to do. :thumbup:

Plus, that way, our phone number and address are searchable, no matter what we do with our "contact us" page -- which, BTW, is also searchable. The way I figure it, without any additional content or keywords, about the only queries our "contact us" page is going to rank high for are those by people who are looking to... well... contact us. In which case, that page is absolutely the most relevant, so why not let it show in the results? :dntknw:

My :02:, adjusted for inflation.

• Jill likes this

#10 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:17 PM

We put our address and phone number in the footer of every page. That way, if somebody prints out the product information page to show their boss when asking for the money to buy it, they'll still have our contact information.

In fact, I do that as well. I didn't mention it because I was simply trying to explain why I blocked the Contact Us page. But I also take your point about that page not ranking for most searches.

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!