• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

How "much" Is Duplicate Content?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 brdlands2

brdlands2

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:16 PM

I was wondering how many times you can post the same article on different websites without google penalizing you for having duplicate content..

As sarcasms and crass,rude reply's will be ignored...LOL!!! Just playing...

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,621 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:42 PM

I'd stick with once, not because I'd be worried about a penalty, but because I wouldn't want to worry about which version Google would decide to count. So you decide whether the article should serve to increase the authority of your site or to get you out in front of a wider audience and maybe send you traffic via a link (which would probably be nofollow), and publish based on that choice.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,966 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:47 PM

As long as it's published on reputable websites (not article directories or stupid things like that) then you can have it republished as often as you want, imo.

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,956 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:23 AM

without google penalizing you for having duplicate content..

Google do not 'penalise' duplicate content, they filter it.

#5 brdlands2

brdlands2

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:29 AM

Aha! That's good to know, I thought they penalize....cool, thanks for that info :)

As long as it's published on reputable websites (not article directories or stupid things like that) then you can have it republished as often as you want, imo.

Yes, these are just really good articles on the niche, that are on the main site, that the person want to post on blog sites, and yes these blog sites are reputable, in fact they charge to be a member of and post...

I'd stick with once, not because I'd be worried about a penalty, but because I wouldn't want to worry about which version Google would decide to count. So you decide whether the article should serve to increase the authority of your site or to get you out in front of a wider audience and maybe send you traffic via a link (which would probably be nofollow), and publish based on that choice.

Yes, the reason we are posting on the other blogs sites (that you pay to be a member of) is to get links...

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,966 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:55 AM

That's no longer true with Panda and Penguin. They do indeed penalize some sites for duplicate content. Even that which is caused via technical issues.

#7 brdlands2

brdlands2

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:58 AM

That's no longer true with Panda and Penguin. They do indeed penalize some sites for duplicate content. Even that which is caused via technical issues.

Ok, that's what i read also. Thank Jill for shedding the truth on that. 

Jill, what about the things we have no control over like someone posting the article without permissions?

How does google know that we didn't do it??

#8 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,956 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:09 AM

I just don't see it.

If entire sites were being given penalties for duplicate content why isn't Wikipedia penalised? Or  Stack Overflow?

Elated lost a chunk of Google traffic after Panda and Simon asked if I would have look why, the site isn't penalised, Google were just choosing not to show the URLs that were created and indexed due to a wildcard DNS configuration when they moved servers several months previously, which resulted in any random subdomain resolving to the main site (as did the name server subs) and if people had mistyped links to the site these URLs were being indexed and displayed to searchers.

The problem is now fixed and search results are back to normal numbers of indexed pages

#9 brdlands2

brdlands2

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:47 PM

What stops google from penalizing a site where someone has taken their "content" and posting via bots to the entire whole internet??

How do they know "what's what"

#10 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,966 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:17 PM

If entire sites were being given penalties for duplicate content why isn't Wikipedia penalised? Or  Stack Overflow?

Not entire sites and not all site. But if other things are going on, or if there's enough of it, I've seen without a doubt that duplicate content can cause penalities, and not just to the duplicate content itself. Somewhere or another even Matt Cutts (I believe) has a quote to that effect.

What stops google from penalizing a site where someone has taken their "content" and posting via bots to the entire whole internet??

Rel=author can help. Being an authority site can also help. 

#11 brdlands2

brdlands2

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:51 AM

Not entire sites and not all site. But if other things are going on, or if there's enough of it, I've seen without a doubt that duplicate content can cause penalities, and not just to the duplicate content itself. Somewhere or another even Matt Cutts (I believe) has a quote to that effect.

Rel=author can help. Being an authority site can also help. 

You know I was thinking about Rel=author just as I was posting the other day on how it could help...

#12 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,621 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:24 PM

I think this is the latest statement from Matt on dupe content, but it doesn't speak directly to this question. He's basically saying that if your business requires you to put certain content all over your site, you don't need to worry about it, and it's only spammy/keyword-stuffed duplicate content that Google views as an issue.

However, I tend to agree that in some cases, duplicate content will go beyond just being filtered out. If a large percentage of your content is lifted from elsewhere, so that practically none of your content is really yours, I'd equate that with the sort of "thin content"  that the Panda algo hits sites for. No, it's not the definition of thin content, but it's quite similar: your content, since it isn't really your content, is doing nothing to add value -- your pages really don't help anyone.

#13 misterkel

misterkel

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:43 AM

Oops - I 'pressed this' with a bunch of blog posts that were germane to my topic just to get my website started and have some adsense juice. Should I take all that down? Will that get me out of jail?

Related - I can't get my website to show up on Google search even with my name / my root domain as the search term. I get a bunch of reposts of an article written about my book and the Amazon, etc. listings for my book, but not my website. Any thoughts?

#14 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,966 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:23 PM

Any thoughts?

What do you have on your site that's worth linking to and what are you doing to get the word out about those things to those who might be interested in doing so?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!