• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Article Directory - Could This Be The "kiss Of Death/"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 alanden

alanden

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:50 AM

Up unitl April 2012 I had one of the best ranked websites in my niche. I thought that I had done everything the "white hat". I personally wrote over 100 high quality articles and created an article directory on my website for those articles.

I also disseminated modified versions of those articles on popular article directory websites.

And I added a separate article directory on my website for articles in my niche and related niches written by others. This article directory does have banner ads for my own products, but that's it.

I didn't pay for any links, and I didn't sell any links.

I've never received an unnatural linking email from Google or any other search engine.

Right now I have less than 1/3rd the traffic that I had in 2012.

I understand that the articles published in the free article directories may be hurting my ranking at this point, and other than spending a few hundred hours to delete those articles I don't think that there is anything that I can do about it. And in addition, I'm not sure that deleting those articles will make any difference.

My Question: I would like to know other's opinions as to whether removing the article directory (which contains other people's articles and my own banner ads) would be a positive move. Only 1.1% of the traffic that hits this directory flows through to my sales pages.

Any other solid advice would also be appreciated.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,085 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:23 PM

I'm unclear as to why you believe the articles on your site are bad. If they're truly useful, well-written article for your target audience, then that can only be a good thing for your website.

However, if they're really just keyword-stuffed nonsense that was written to gain a variety of keyword traffic, then yeah...nuke 'em.

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,647 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:23 PM

Is the directory of articles by other people made up of guest posts that are unique, or are these all articles that were originally published elsewhere, and you just put up copies of them?

#4 newhat

newhat

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:23 PM

Without knowing more, you cannot make the conclusion that your traffic dropped solely because you may have done a little spinning of your own work. I've seen sites that dropped through the floor since Panda in 2011 and they had all unique content not seen elsewhere. Perhaps there are other reasons for the drop.

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,313 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:21 AM

Look at WHERE the traffic is no longer coming from first.

#6 alanden

alanden

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:42 AM

I'm unclear as to why you believe the articles on your site are bad. If they're truly useful, well-written article for your target audience, then that can only be a good thing for your website.

However, if they're really just keyword-stuffed nonsense that was written to gain a variety of keyword traffic, then yeah...nuke 'em.

The articles are useful and professionally written (by me). They are not keyword-stuffed. For years these articles ranked well, as did the website. I did spin these articles and also put them in other article directories. These articles are in a separate directory than the articles that were written by other people. Articles written by other people were submitted for publication by the authors.

Is the directory of articles by other people made up of guest posts that are unique, or are these all articles that were originally published elsewhere, and you just put up copies of them?

Articles written by other people were submitted for publication by the authors. So the authors probably submitted them to other sites as well.

Look at WHERE the traffic is no longer coming from first.

The traffic is no longer comming from Google. Dozens of my articles and sales pages were first page for many, many different keywords.

Without knowing more, you cannot make the conclusion that your traffic dropped solely because you may have done a little spinning of your own work. I've seen sites that dropped through the floor since Panda in 2011 and they had all unique content not seen elsewhere. Perhaps there are other reasons for the drop.

I agree completely, but I am not able to figure out what those reasons are.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!