• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Wordpress Blog, Using The Seo Guidelines.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:16 AM

Ok, I found out what these mean....the article says the search engines take these into concern, and it carries allot of weight....I wonder if that's still true?

I don't know if it was ever true in the first place. Yes, they may get some weight, but I know plenty of pages that have no heading tags at all and still do just fine.

As I and the others have already said around here on many occasions, ANY tool that gives you a formulaic paint-by-numbers "analysis" of your page's optimization is not very useful -- because SEO is primarily an art, not a mechanical "check all the boxes" kind of activity.

Yoast's plugin includes many good features besides the "SEO guidelines." Those other features are probably why Jill uses it. I sincerely doubt she pays much attention to whether she gets a "green light" from those "guidelines."

I will concede there are a few alerts from the SEO guidelines that seem to provide reasonably useful reminders (for instance, making sure you include the target key phrase in the article text at least once -- because, while you don't want to keyword stuff, not including it at all seems fairly counterproductive).

But overall, the problem is it focuses your attention on things that don't matter all that much in this day of Penguins, Pandas and Hummingbirds, and distracts you from the things that do matter.

Use it as it says, as "guidelines" if you want, if it makes you feel better. Some people find it comforting to have some outside reassurance and hand-holding, especially when they're just starting out. Just don't fool yourself into thinking that putting effort into always getting a "green light" means your pages will definitely rank well, draw in lots of traffic and convert like crazy. It just doesn't work that way.

My :02:

--Torka :propeller:

Edited by torka, 02 October 2013 - 09:16 AM.
correct a typo

#17 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:12 PM

Those other features are probably why Jill uses it. I sincerely doubt she pays much attention to whether she gets a "green light" from those "guidelines."

I've never seen the guidelines on my sites. Perhaps it's new to Yoast or it's some other plug-in. But yeah, I wouldn't have ever looked at it anyway.

#18 brdlands2

brdlands2

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:59 PM

I don't know if it was ever true in the first place. Yes, they may get some weight, but I know plenty of pages that have no heading tags at all and still do just fine.

As I and the others have already said around here on many occasions, ANY tool that gives you a formulaic paint-by-numbers "analysis" of your page's optimization is not very useful -- because SEO is primarily an art, not a mechanical "check all the boxes" kind of activity.

Yoast's plugin includes many good features besides the "SEO guidelines." Those other features are probably why Jill uses it. I sincerely doubt she pays much attention to whether she gets a "green light" from those "guidelines."

I will concede there are a few alerts from the SEO guidelines that seem to provide reasonably useful reminders (for instance, making sure you include the target key phrase in the article text at least once -- because, while you don't want to keyword stuff, not including it at all seems fairly counterproductive).

But overall, the problem is it focuses your attention on things that don't matter all that much in this day of Penguins, Pandas and Hummingbirds, and distracts you from the things that do matter.

Use it as it says, as "guidelines" if you want, if it makes you feel better. Some people find it comforting to have some outside reassurance and hand-holding, especially when they're just starting out. Just don't fool yourself into thinking that putting effort into always getting a "green light" means your pages will definitely rank well, draw in lots of traffic and convert like crazy. It just doesn't work that way.

My :02:

Thanks Torka, 

You always give me such great replays  :hug:

Ok, the yoast plugin does analyze the body copy and looks for things that a

seasoned blog writer would look for.

I can see how some people would not like something like this, but I can also see how it might help in efficiency when it comes to things like "how many times" a keyword is used.

That has to helpful to some degree. I cannot see how it could hurt? :cold:

Edited by brdlands2, 08 October 2013 - 02:02 PM.

#19 squidjam

squidjam

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:44 PM

The things brdlands2 is referring to in the Yoast plugin have been there from the start. When you go to write a post, in the post editor it has a place where you can enter a custom post title (to customize the post title from something other than what you've entered for the title), the meta description, and keywords.

You can enter a "focus keyword" for the post, which is supposedly the keyword you're optimizing the post for. The plugin then shows you right under that keyword whether it was found in the Article Heading, Page Title, page URL, content, and meta description.

It has a bunch of other tabs that analyze what you've written and comes up with an "SEO score" from 1 to 100, based on, supposedly, how well you have optimized your post for the keyword. It then gives you a red light or green light indicator next to the post (when you're viewing all your posts in the dashboard listing of posts) to tell you how well you've done.

My problems with the plugin:

1. It uses all the bogus criteria that JIll (and others) have educated us against. In this day and age, all these things are antiquated and myths at best, and things that will get your site in trouble at worst (over-optimization, etc.)

2. I have used this plugin twice on one of the sites I run. Once, a year ago, when it was fairly new, and once a few months ago. The first time I used it, I noticed it was rewriting my page titles incorrectly and not based on what I had in the main settings for the plugin. I couldn't find a way to remedy this so I uninstalled it and went back to my tried-and-true SEO plugin, All in One SEO.

The second time I caved in and tried it again, thinking the bugs were worked out, but they weren't. I had several other problems with it, one that was serious. I got rid of it, wiped out any existence of it from my database, and never looked back.

There are LOTS of people on the Yoast bandwagon so you will find lots of glowing recommendations for this plugin everywhere you turn. If it weren't for a few other developers that I know and trust, I would think I was crazy, but I know of others who wouldn't go near this plugin but also won't say much because they will just be drowned out by all the "fans." Lately, though, I have seen mention of many others having issues with it and complaints that bugs and issues are not addressed and if they are, people are asked to pay for "premium support."

The only things that I really find such plugins useful for is for some settings for whether to index archives that WordPress creates: category, tag, author. I disable those to eliminate any issues with duplicate content should I have some of those pages set to display an identical amount of content. There are a few other things.

Anyway, I'd recommend All in One SEO before Yoast's any day from what I've seen.

I'd say the same about plugins like Scribe. Scribe always made me laugh when I read the about page:

The math behind Scribe’s patent-pending algorithms is heavily influenced by information retrieval and search engine expert, Dr. Edel Garcia.

Well, I'd never heard of Dr. Garcia (and I'm more than a little wary of people who use the title Dr. online since I've seen people use it to give themselves more credibility than they deserve), so here's the info you get about Dr. Garcia when you click on his name:

Dr. Edel García was a senior researcher at the Microsoft Innovation Center of Puerto Rico where he is the principal investigator of Minerazzi, a data mining and business intelligence project. He holds a Ph.D. from Arizona State University, Main Campus (1995) and a B.S. degree from the Inter American University of Puerto Rico, Metropolitan Campus (1982). He has more than 30 years of a combined experience as professor, information retrieval researcher, and entrepreneur. He has served as reviewer for several scientific journals on computers, science, and technology as well as event organizer/speaker of technology conferences.

I still don't see how his credentials really qualify him to be helping a company develop an SEO plugin. Maybe I'm missing something. :rolleyes:

I'd also recommend not paying a lick of attention to any of their SEO ratings of your copy. :D

Just my two pennies 

Ok, the yoast plugin does analyze the body copy and looks for things that a

seasoned blog writer would look for.

I can see how some people would not like something like this, but I can also see how it might help in efficiency when it comes to things like "how many times" a keyword is used.

That has to helpful to some degree. I cannot see how it could hurt? :cold:

Well, how many times a keyword is used can hurt you.

A "seasoned blog writer" wouldn't be repeating words and phrases over and over in a blog post to get some SEO software with questionable SEO rules to give it a high score.

In this day and age, all these [url=http://www.highrankings.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15499]Seo Myths[/url] are going out the window. Have for some time.

#20 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:19 PM

Strange. I've never seen that in the Yoast plug-in. Perhaps something you have to enable? (I'm too lazy to go look at any of my unattended blogs to check.)

#21 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:32 PM

Actually, Dr. Garcia is well-known among SEOs. He has done a lot of work to debunk the myths surrounding Latent Semantic Indexing (LSI) and search. Some unscrupulous or incompetent SEO firms use this term incorrectly to try to make their "services" sound more technical and impressive than they are. AFAIK, he does hold a PhD, so he actually is a "doctor." :)

He wrote several widely-quoted articles many years ago on the whole LSI debacle. Here's a sample from his blog (article is dated 2007): http://irthoughts.wo...mystifying-lsi/

And here's an article from the Moz blog in 2006. Unfortunately, Dr. Garcia moved his blog in the intervening years and retired some of his older content, so the article links don't work, but the blog link itself does, where you'll find a whole bunch of really dense reading under the LSI category: http://moz.com/blog/...f-lsi-marketing

Which is not to say that Scribe is necessarily an excellent product (and not saying it isn't, either) simply because they drop his name in their marketing materials. Being "heavily influenced" by his math is not the same as saying he was actually personally involved in the development of the product. Maybe he was, or maybe the developers just got some ideas from reading some of his articles. But in any case, if you read some of his articles, I'm sure you'll find he's the real deal, so it's understandable they'd want to associate themselves with him in some fashion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!