• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

301'd Page Shows Former Page's Title In Bing Sitelinks

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JayMcDonald

JayMcDonald

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:10 AM

I have a page on a client site where we 301'd a bunch of pages after a restructure, and now one of the top "sitelinks" that displays when they come up in the SERP shows the title from the old version of a page. Big problem, because what shows is part of what we got rid of in the whole repositioning we did :( What can I do?

Edited by JayMcDonald, 27 September 2013 - 11:13 AM.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:50 PM

You can remove that URL from being a sitelink via  your GWMT account. 

#3 JayMcDonald

JayMcDonald

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:57 PM

Hi Jill. Well, It's Bing. Do they have a similar tool in their admin? Also - I don't actually want to remove that page, rather want it to just have the correct (current) title, and not the title from the old page.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:49 AM

Bing has webmaster tools. But I don't know if they have sitelink removal as part of it. I haven't used it much because traffic from Bing is so low as to not be worth my time.

#5 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:18 AM

And, sadly, there are few other options. :( You can't really tell the search engines what to do. If you have the correct title on the page now, then you've basically done what you can do. The search engines will choose to display whatever they want, and will update -- if they update -- on their own schedule. (Google, for instance, has been known to display their own idea of what the page title "should" be, without regard to what title the webmaster entered.)

With any luck, Bing will notice before too long that your page title has changed and update accordingly. In the meantime, your only other option would be to remove the sitelink (assuming Bing has that option -- like Jill, I haven't spent much time exploring their Webmaster Tools options).

--Torka :propeller:

#6 JayMcDonald

JayMcDonald

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:27 AM

Torka: Thanks. That's what I needed to know, though I was hoping there was some way to fix this glitch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!