• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

New Website Not Ranking No Matter What - Could This Be Linked To The C

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 amynokinsky

amynokinsky

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:51 PM

Hi there,

I have a website that was created in an attempt to help our client rank after his original website received a penalty because of black-hat link building techniques from another company they had hired.

We are very stumped as to why we haven't been ranking (we have been ranking 26 - 50 for all of our terms). The website has been up for several months and;

- Has an exact match domain

- onsite optimization (schema.org, title tags, meta tags, h1, keywords onpage, etc)

- local and niche citations and links built

- has a decent moztrust/rank and domain authority for being a new site

- has a verified Google+ local page

The only things that we can think of is that these rankings are somehow linked to the old site's penalty. These two sites aren't linking to each other in any way or mention each other within the site. We have recently taken them out of the same Google webmasters account thinking that this was the cause (we haven't seen results from this yet, however it may be too early).

The only other issue with this site is that fact that the new citations have the exact same address as [old site] citations (different company name, different phone number).

Has anyone experienced this, or have any idea what could be causing this issue?

Thank you in advance for your help and input!

Edited by Jill, 27 September 2013 - 06:54 AM.
Removed website mentions

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,383 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:57 AM

he website has been up for several months and;

- Has an exact match domain

- onsite optimization (schema.org, title tags, meta tags, h1, keywords onpage, etc)

- local and niche citations and links built

Is there anything that is GENUINELY USEFUL that has been done?

Has anyone experienced this, or have any idea what could be causing this issue?

It's a new site and therefore the URLs have to serve their time and build REAL VALUE NOT ...

... useless and meaningless metrics invented by "experts" not search engines.

I'd suggest spending some time reading the articles linked here might be beneficial.

• newhat likes this

#3 newhat

newhat

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:25 AM

Is there anything that is GENUINELY USEFUL that has been done?

It's a new site and therefore the URLs have to serve their time and build REAL VALUE NOT ...

... useless and meaningless metrics invented by "experts" not search engines.

I'd suggest spending some time reading the articles linked here might be beneficial.

You must have missed the day in class when they taught the well known general rule:

"If you build it, they shall come." :)

Edited by newhat, 01 October 2013 - 04:25 AM.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,111 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:40 AM

The only things that we can think of is that these rankings are somehow linked to the old site's penalty. 

The old site is still up and running? My guess is that until that one is gone all together, you'll never see good rankings with the new one. You don't want two sites for the same company.

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,383 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:16 AM

"If you build it, they shall come."

Well, back in 1992 to around 1997/98 when commercial websites were few and far between, that was pretty much true. Now, for every possible product or service there is a thousand plus places to find what you want, YOU have to go out there and give customers a damned good reason WHY it should be you.

We are STILL doing door to door sales, only now you have to get customers to knock on YOUR DOOR instead of you knocking on their's.

Danny Sullivan once called Search "Reverse Advertising", because, as opposed to traditional advertising where you have to interrupt what the viewer is doing to show them your advertising message, with Search Marketing the viewer is ALREADY LOOKING for your advertising message, you simply have to give them a good enough reason to pick your's from the other nine.

Just "being there" isn't enough, searchers have to know where to find you, they already know what they want, so you only have to get them to buy it from you.

#6 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,703 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:56 AM

(I think newhat was making a joke... ;) )

--Torka :propeller:

#7 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,383 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:05 AM

(I think newhat was making a joke... ;) )

Sure, but the trouble is that many people still think that just having a website that is indexed by search engines and 'ranks' for one or two "most important key words" is sufficient for "riches beyond the dreams of avarice".

#8 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,703 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:35 AM

You mean it isn't? :eek:

(Guess I'd better cancel my order for that Lamborghini, then... sigh)

:rofl:

#9 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:54 AM

@Torka.  I live in a cave and hadn't seen a single exoticar in 3+ years. Then on the same day about 2 months back I broght my beat up rust bucket in for a smog check and a brand new Ferrari graced my presence in the next stall. Less then 2 hours later as I was retreating back to the cave I passed a red Lambo (don't know that I'd ever seen one on the road before). My car sputtered a logarithmic Wow!

Back on track, you also find folks who believe that entering their website url in the search bar and having it come up first in the results is also a WOW.

There is some value in this, but not this situation. What did Miyagi say? Something like:

The answer is only good if you ask the right question.

#10 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,383 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:41 AM

you also find folks who believe that entering their website url in the search bar and having it come up first in the results is also a WOW.

And there are people who would swear that pi$$ing yourself while wearing black trousers (pants for the US) is a great to get a warm feeling, doesn't mean everybody should do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!