• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Keyword Specific Landing Pages Or Not?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 J-Lynn

J-Lynn

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:28 AM

Hello, I have a question regarding landing pages for Google AdWords.  My company sells tweezers for electronics assembly.  From my search query reports I see people searching for lots of different terms which refer to our main tweezer line, such as - semiconductor tweezers, cleanroom tweezers, scientific tweezers, chip handling tweezers.

Here's my conundrum...I would like to create ad groups within the tweezer campaign specific to each of these keyword phrases.  They are very specific, so although they wouldn't be searched for as often they are very targeted to our products.  I feel like if I'm targeting these specific keywords with ads that match very closely, people would be more likely to click.

Only problem is, all of these keywords match up to the same page of tweezers.  Our metal high precision tweezers are used for all of these things, so that would be the best page to send people to for choosing the style they need. 

Would it be best to take the current tweezer page and use it to create a separate landing page named www.mywebsite/cleanroom-tweezers.html and then optimize it for "cleanroom tweezers" and do this for each example?  Or maybe just have all specific ad groups pointing to the current page that does describe in detail what the tweezers are used for?

Any thoughts would be very welcome!  Thanks, Jackie

• manojkumar and spmn84 like this

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,039 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:56 AM

They are very specific, so although they wouldn't be searched for as often they are very targeted to our products.

So why would you NOT want to run highly specific ads that have a VERY high probability of generating a conversion rate of better than 50%?

• spmn84 likes this

#3 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:58 AM

Somebody who does more with paid search should probably weigh in on this, but to my understanding, at least in Google's AdWords part of your ad quality score comes from how relevant the landing page seems to be to the keywords that trigger the ad.

So the answer would be: it depends. If you're using a specialized keyword to trigger the ad, and you're referring to that specialized use or keyword in the ad itself, and the general product sales page also refers to that specialized use, then you're probably OK with the general sales page as your landing page. But if the page doesn't specifically mention that keyword or use, you might be better off with a specialized landing page.

You might want to try testing a specialized landing page or two versus the the general product sales page to see which one generates higher conversion rates/revenue. That's really the bottom line as to which would be better. If you have Google Analytics you can use the Experiments feature (under Traffic Sources) to set up the test.

My :02:

--Torka :propeller:

• spmn84 likes this

#4 J-Lynn

J-Lynn

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:24 PM

Somebody who does more with paid search should probably weigh in on this, but to my understanding, at least in Google's AdWords part of your ad quality score comes from how relevant the landing page seems to be to the keywords that trigger the ad.

So the answer would be: it depends. If you're using a specialized keyword to trigger the ad, and you're referring to that specialized use or keyword in the ad itself, and the general product sales page also refers to that specialized use, then you're probably OK with the general sales page as your landing page. But if the page doesn't specifically mention that keyword or use, you might be better off with a specialized landing page.

You might want to try testing a specialized landing page or two versus the the general product sales page to see which one generates higher conversion rates/revenue. That's really the bottom line as to which would be better. If you have Google Analytics you can use the Experiments feature (under Traffic Sources) to set up the test.

My :02:

--Torka :propeller:

Thanks Torka, I will give it a shot.  I just wanted to get some opinions from people who may be more knowledgeable than myself! :)

• spmn84 likes this

#5 J-Lynn

J-Lynn

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:26 PM

So why would you NOT want to run highly specific ads that have a VERY high probability of generating a conversion rate of better than 50%?

I do.  I never said I didn't.  I just wanted some feedback on what people think regarding the landing pages.  Like I said in my original post, the landing page is for a specific type of tweezers that can be called many different names.  So technically the landing page full of tweezers is going to be the same page no matter how they search it, but should I do a "save as" for this page and rename it, title it etc. for each specific keyword.

• spmn84 likes this

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,989 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:41 PM

I don't know if you should do it or not for paid search landing pages, but if you do, be sure you block those pages from being indexed organically.

#7 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,039 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:30 PM

Using a key worded  URL/document name  and a high frequency of the campaign key words and phrases on the "landing page" can get  a better quality score for Adwords.

However as Jill says, block them from being indexed, because a good Adwords "landing page" will make a pretty poor candidate for appearing in the search results.

#8 J-Lynn

J-Lynn

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:34 AM

Sounds good.  I will begin some testing today and block them from being indexed organically.  I appreciate everyones input!

#9 ttw

ttw

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:59 AM

I'll chime in here with a question;  Is there any benefit wth respect to quality score in using the keywords the landing page is targeting in the destination URL?

I don't believe Adwords QS engine looks at this.

Thoughts?

#10 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,039 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:59 PM

It does actually, not a huge part but it does help with the QS

https://www.en.adwor...m-p/91186#M6803

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,