• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

What To Do After A Mod_Rewrite

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BeGlobal

BeGlobal

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:27 PM

Hi!,

Recently I've got my client's URLs rewritten because of non SEO reasons. Obviously, I had to change the URLs on the menus and on the sitemap, for the new "static" version of these pages.

Common sense dictates that I should redirect the old "dynamic" URLs to the new static ones for SEO purposes, so I can transfer the rankings to those newly created URLs, however that would create an infinite loop between the static and dynamic URLs of every page.

What would be the best SEO practice in this case, to make sure not to lose the rankings and transfer them to the newly created pages?

Please let me know

Best,

Carlos

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:07 PM

Rel=canonical

#3 Alan Perkins

Alan Perkins

Token male admin

• Admin
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:45 AM

Common sense dictates that I should redirect the old "dynamic" URLs to the new static ones for SEO purposes, so I can transfer the rankings to those newly created URLs, however that would create an infinite loop between the static and dynamic URLs of every page.

Really? I don't see that from your description and, if you see it like that, you're probably making a mistake somewhere.

In any redirect situation, there are at minimum two URLs: where you're redirecting from, and where you're redirecting to.

Where you're redirecting from should return a HTTP redirect response such as a 301, 302 or 307, depending on the context.

Where you're redirecting to should return a HTTP 200 response, otherwise there was no point redirecting there - you should have redirected to somewhere else.

Some URL has to actually serve content, and that's where you should be redirecting to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!