• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

"coming Up With Keywords For The Blogger"

Best Answer seocoffee , 24 September 2013 - 03:59 PM

My concern is that you're being paid to do SEO for others, without having the slightest idea of what that means. If you're just doing it for yourself, then that's fine. 

Yes, this is just for me, it a video game hobby site. 

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 seocoffee

seocoffee

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:11 PM

I need to come up with keywords to send the person that writes blogs, that are being searched on with high volume.

How many keywords should i giver the blogger so they can help rank the site using blogging? 

25? 30? 

How many should enough? 

Should I give her exact key phrases and then a bunch of synonyms? 

Will this really help rank the site in the long run? From what I have been reading it will. 

Cheers

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:05 PM

There's no exact answer to this, but I have to ask you given all your newbie questions, how did you get into the position of doing SEO for other people's websites?

#3 seocoffee

seocoffee

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:38 AM

There's no exact answer to this, but I have to ask you given all your newbie questions, how did you get into the position of doing SEO for other people's websites?

You have to start learning some where right? How did you start? 

Edited by seocoffee, 24 September 2013 - 10:41 AM.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:51 PM

My concern is that you're being paid to do SEO for others, without having the slightest idea of what that means. If you're just doing it for yourself, then that's fine. 

#5 seocoffee

seocoffee

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:59 PM   Best Answer

Yes, this is just for me, it a video game hobby site. 

Edited by seocoffee, 24 September 2013 - 04:03 PM.

#6 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:39 AM

And to get back to your original question...

It's a bit like asking "how long is a piece of string?"

The answer is: it depends. Nobody can tell you how many keywords to give the blogger, because that depends on what the keywords are. A "video game hobby site" still covers a lot of territory. It would depend on whether you're focusing on video games in general, a specific platform, a specific genre of video game, a specific publisher, etc.

Only you can know which search terms are going to be most important and relevant for your site, your topic and your audience. This is part of the "art" of SEO. It's never going to be a hard-and-fast science, where you target "x" number of keywords on "y" number of pages, get "z" number of inbound links, and you'll succeed.

Give your blogger however many key phrases you think are relevant. The more the merrier. What topic(s) relate to your site? What key phrases are most likely to be used by people searching for information on those topics?

As to synonyms: your don't want each post to repeat a specific key word or phrase over and over. As to whether you need to furnish those synonyms to the blogger: Is your blogger smart enough to figure out and use synonyms by him/her self? Or are they just mechanically churning out posts using whatever key phrases you furnish them? (If it's the latter, get a new blogger. This one isn't going to be doing you any favors. You need somebody with personality, intelligence and creativity writing your blog.)

You might want to read this post and this post from our moderator Karon Thackston's Marketing Words blog. The first is an interview with Google's Matt Cutts covering keyword strategy from Google's perspective. The second outlines three outdated keyword strategies that Karon still sees happening all the time. I think you might find these articles helpful.

My :02:

--Torka :propeller:

#7 seocoffee

seocoffee

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:24 AM

Wow, thank you Torka, 

You really shed some light on this topic for me. I understands what you are saying. The blogger knows allot about the niche, but when I told them that they are going to have to incorporate some of these keyword phrases that I am coming up with, they are a tad bit resistant. They have told me things like "...I don't want to pander to the search engines"...

I told them that is the way google is ranking pages now, it's more about the actual content on the actual page itself.

#8 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,103 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:35 AM

The blogger knows allot about the niche

So why are you trying to "teach your grandmother to suck eggs"?

By the sound of thing "the blogger" knows better than you how to write copy, AND if they don't ...... why are you employing them??

#9 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:32 AM

seocoffee, you may want to read the article I just wrote about how to do SEO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!