• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Multi Cms Design For A Better User Experience

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rafnews

rafnews

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:10 AM

Hi,

i'm thinking to use different CMS:

e-shop : magento/prestashop

blog/company profile: wordpress/joomla

support: phpBB

to create a complex website.

From pure optimization all integrate SEO tools to make search engine finding what is needed (even if each CMS is in a domain/sub-domain),

1. however each CMS has a different theme/template/design, how can i make a good customer experience ? i mean menus and design could be drastically different (even if we try to keep theme almost the same).

How customer could have the feeling to be on the same corporate website if design are different ?

2.What is your experience with that ?

thx.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,662 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:48 AM

Why not simply use one with a common template?

Wordpress has 'BuddyPress' for your support forum, and several 'catalogue' (eCommerce) plugins.

Joomla! has Kunena forum  and again, several 'catalogue' (eCommerce) plugins are available..

#3 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,579 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:05 AM

Or if there are good reasons to use each different CMS -- for instance, one offers a feature you need for a specific area of your site while another offers a feature you need for another area of your site, neither of which are available otherwise --  create a custom template/theme for each that has the same appearance/menu/etc.

That's the situation my company was in. We wanted to transition to WordPress for the main body of our site, but our store was already set up on ShopSite. None of the WP ecommerce plugins offered all the features we need, and frankly I wasn't looking forward to having to reconfigure several hundred products on a new platform when we already had one that worked very well for us. We also needed a fairly complex support knowledgebase, and couldn't find a WP plugin that worked for us. But we were able to find a specialized knowledgebase application that exactly met our needs. And so forth...

In the end, the company's website uses no less than four different content management systems for different sections of the site. But the pages from each one look identical to the pages from any other, making transitions from one to the other invisible and seamless to our visitors, because I created matching custom templates for each of them.

--Torka :propeller:

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,573 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:24 AM

<tangent>What did you pick for the knowledge base? We have our help files on some system that puts everything in an iframe, all on the same URL, and I want to get rid of it.</tangent>

#5 rafnews

rafnews

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:40 AM

Th real purpose is to cope with each CMS issue...

for example,

- Wordpress backup system is horrible. (worse than Joomla) but Joomla doesn't have so much plugin/module/component that could satisfied customer (no real free e-commerce with reccurent subscription or free download for virtual product as magento has)

- Magento is great e-commerce solution but lack of blog and free module/plugins that could make a better users experience

- phpBB for support is good as kunena for joomla... but kunena is directly linked to Joomla and therefore database maintenance means to put down whole website to do the work.

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,662 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:20 AM

Wordpress backup system is horrible. (worse than Joomla)

No, both are ludicrously easy, zip or tar the files, export the database ... Backup done.

Magento is great e-commerce solution but lack of blog and free module/plugins that could make a better users experience

And the day they do will spell the end of Magento as a good catalogue/ecommerce application.

You only have to look at  vBulletin for an example of how having ALL the bells and whistles added to a great product turns it into a fairly mediocre problem application riddled with bugs.

therefore database maintenance means to put down whole website to do the work.

In a few years of managing such sites I've only once had to shut down the entire site for a database clean up or maintenance routines.

#7 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,579 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:53 AM

And there are Wordpress plugins (and I assume the same for Joomla) that totally automate the backup process, so it's no hassle at all.

<tangent style="reply:on;">Qwerty: we use software from KBPublisher. We have a number of people contributing articles, a fairly complex product line, and a small budget. I had trouble finding something that my bosses would agree to pay for and also included all the features we needed. This package was reasonably priced and basically fulfilled all my requirements. It allowed us to set up publication workflows, assign roles and permissions to individual users, set up product hierarchies and classify each individual entry under an unlimited number of product categories. It also has the ability to administer and track support tickets, but since our customer relationship software already handles that, we've never had to use it.</tangent>

--Torka :propeller:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!