• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

The Important Of The Title Tag

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 seocoffee

seocoffee

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:36 AM

I got a question about the below information that i found on this site reguarding the title tag.

This comes from "10 Tips to the Top of the Search Engines"

It states:

Incorporate your keyword phrases into each page's unique Title tag. Title tags are critical because they're given a lot of weight with every search engine. Whatever keyword phrases you've written your copy around should also be used in your Title tag. Remember that the information that you place in this tag is what will show up as the clickable link to your site at the search engines. Make sure that it accurately reflects the content of the page it's on, while also using the keyword phrases people might be using at a search engine to find your stuff.

My question is this: a Keyword Phrase is a "unique phrase" about that individual page, so in other words if i have 10 pages
each page title should be different. I've read this elsewhere also.

Just wanted to make certain this is true.

Cheers

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,110 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:15 PM

Yes it is.

But it is equally important that your titles are not simply a bunch of 'key' words.

Edited by chrishirst, 19 September 2013 - 12:17 PM.

#3 seocoffee

seocoffee

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:13 PM

Thanks Chrishirst,

Thats what i thought, what i am dealing with is about 14 pages of where each title tag is different, but my niche keywords are all going to be very familiar no matter what the variation. Each title tag has the "location", but they are saying slightly different words, all close to meaning the same thing.

The index page has 8 words in the title tag, and the other pages are close to that word count also. 

Now on the other hand, the meta NAME="keywords" CONTENT"" in this one page has 295 words.

Do you feel that 295 Words behind meta NAME="Keywords" CONTENT"" is to many??

Cheers

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:22 PM

Unless you're using it for your own internal search, you can skip the meta keywords tag. Search engines pay no attention to it.

#5 seocoffee

seocoffee

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:32 PM

Unless you're using it for your own internal search, you can skip the meta keywords tag. Search engines pay no attention to it.

But at one time they did this is a older site, been around for quite some time. I am not going to take them out though, i cannot risk it. "LOL"

Edited by seocoffee, 19 September 2013 - 02:33 PM.

#6 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:59 PM

I could be wrong, but I don't think Google ever paid attention to that tag. Now, if you want to rank well in Alta Vista or Lycos, circa 1997, you're good to go.

• chrishirst likes this

#7 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,110 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:59 AM

I am not going to take them out though, i cannot risk it

Well the 'keywords' metadata hasn't been of any use for the past FIFTEEN years or so so there is hardly a 'risk' to anything.

But if you are not convinced, remove the meta element from a few of the documents and see what happens.

And .....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK7IPbnmvVU

#8 seocoffee

seocoffee

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:58 PM

I could be wrong, but I don't think Google ever paid attention to that tag. Now, if you want to rank well in Alta Vista or Lycos, circa 1997, you're good to go.

Wow, you know i've seen tutorials on youtube about people swearing up and down that the meta name keyword content ="" was how google found your pages. I wonder if somehow he was doing other things that got him the rank and was unaware of it? 

Do you think that is actually possible? Like, i am not sure how the site I am webmaster of right now here recently is ranking so high. 

It has allot of back-links and tons of click, over the years and there are other real life PR factors that come into play with this site to be honest with you...

Well the 'keywords' metadata hasn't been of any use for the past FIFTEEN years or so so there is hardly a 'risk' to anything.

But if you are not convinced, remove the meta element from a few of the documents and see what happens.

And .....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK7IPbnmvVU

I watched the video and he did say they use the meta description though.

I also watched this video about keyword density and I am now more than ever thinking that 
its mostly about chaos theory than anything. 
He says there is no hard and fast rule, and if someone says there is, they are 
probably trying to sell you "keyword density software", and then he makes a sarcastic grimace on his face.

Edited by Jill, 22 September 2013 - 01:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!