• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Do You Think I Should Go With An In-House Seo Guy?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 J9473920

J9473920

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:51 PM

Hey (:

I have a small business, with 15 employees and few stores we're running (3 e-commerce, ebay and amazon stores and such).

After doing the SEO by myself for few years, I feel like I really need an SEO guy to take care of everything for me (its becoming time consuming and I feel like doing that just as a side job doesn't let me do the best job we can do on those websites).

Now, my biggest dilemma is to go with an SEO company, SEO outsource, or to hire an in-house employee just for SEO.

Of course as any office manager, I tend to trust the in-house option the most, but I'm not sure if it's realistic and the best approach for SEO.

I would love to hear your opinion on this matter (:

P.S - Please DON'T PM me job offers, right now unfortunately I'll have to ignore anyone...

Many thanks!

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,958 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:48 PM

If you want to give it completely up to someone else, then you should definitely go with an in-house SEO. There's no way for you not to be involved when using an outside source. 

#3 J9473920

J9473920

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:32 AM

Thanks (:

That's actually sounds completely opposite of what I expected,

Just for my understanding, why can't outsource company do everything from A-to-Z without my involvement?

Or on the other side, why an in-house SEO will should be better than outside company?

Also, the SEO employees I found willing to work for one company (in house) seems like are intermediate-level and doesn't really have lots of experience\understanding.

It may be just the area, the time frame or the sites I'm looking at, but that's just from my experience.

Do you think SEO professionals are usually willing\want\looking for an in-house jobs?

And in general, from your experience, an e-commerce website that wants to reach more potential buyers, really need an heavy SEO activity, or basic SEO of an hour a day should do the job?

I'm sorry for the really general questions, I know no-body can actually guess stuff like that, I'm just looking for your opinion based on your experience in the field (:

Many thanks!!

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,958 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:32 PM

Just for my understanding, why can't outsource company do everything from A-to-Z without my involvement?

Many, many reasons.

The first being that there are so many untrustworthy SEO companies out there. I've seen far too many people hire them with no idea of what they're doing for them, and then get taken advantage of. You must be an educated consumer of SEO if you outsource it. After awhile, obviously, once you see that your traffic and conversions (and profits) have increased, you can probably let them have at it. 

In addition, you know your business, not them. They will need you to provide lots of information about what it is you do and offer. You'll need to review anything that they write to ensure it's correct and providing the appropriate voice for your business. 

Or on the other side, why an in-house SEO will should be better than outside company?

Because presumably they'll be focused on you and your company and that alone. They'll get a chance to understand what it is you are all about, your corporate culture, your products or services, etc. While they will probably need some education about all that, in the end, they're there to serve you and you shouldn't have to worry about them screwing you over.

Do you think SEO professionals are usually willing\want\looking for an in-house jobs?

No idea. I guess it depends on how much you're willing to pay them and whether or not your company seems like a good fit for them. 

And in general, from your experience, an e-commerce website that wants to reach more potential buyers, really need an heavy SEO activity, or basic SEO of an hour a day should do the job?

An hour a day? You'd need that (and more) just to focus on social media activity to promote your website, company and the content that presumably someone will be writing. 

Bottom line is that SEO is no longer something that you can just do by sticking keywords somewhere. It's an all-encompassing online marketing and branding of your business. 

#5 J9473920

J9473920

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:45 PM

Thanks for all the great information (:

Our marketing department already includes PR and Social Media managers, unfortunately none of them are familiar or have any experience related to websites or SEO,

Currently all the SEO made by the web developers (on-site optimization and really basic, unprofessional backlinks building).

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,958 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:43 PM

Our marketing department already includes PR and Social Media managers, unfortunately none of them are familiar or have any experience related to websites or SEO,

That IS SEO.

Currently all the SEO made by the web developers (on-site optimization and really basic, unprofessional backlinks building).

That is web spam. Stop doing that and focus on the social media and PR. 

#7 J9473920

J9473920

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:22 PM

Thanks for your straightforward replies (:

is the 2010 video tutorial in lynda still recommended for todays google algorithms or is it better to start with more up to date materials ?

thanks again!

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,958 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:27 AM

If you're talking about my Lynda tutorial, the concepts are still the same, i.e., making your site the best it can be for search engines and people, but it emphasizes keywords ahd keyword research more than I would today. 

Have you read my article from last week on how to do SEO for now and forever?

#9 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,930 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:47 AM

How could and why would you trust a third party to know your business as well as you do?

That's actually sounds completely opposite of what I expected,

For search marketing, every marketplace, every website, every customer base or demographic are different, some company based in India, Pakistan, Phillipines, Romania and so on will NOT TRULY understand how English, American, Canadian, French, German etc. etc. customers behave in their shopping habits for any given product.

Real local knowledge and customer background information is VITAL for ANY form of marketing and for your business you are the only person who can provide that with any degree of  accuracy.

Edited by chrishirst, 01 October 2013 - 09:48 AM.

#10 J9473920

J9473920

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:45 PM

I have to explain,

We're in a very competitive field, most of our competitors are marketing mostly online, and the main keywords getting about 250k searches a month, and about 50 million results.

It's sounds a little bit naive to me, that by-the-book SEO (on-site optimization and regular, day-to-day PR and social media) can get us to the first 3 pages (we have to aim high, because less than that won't get us the exposure we need to grow and compete our competitors).

#11 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,958 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:34 PM

Even more reason to pay attention closely to what we're saying.

Unless of course you're happy to get your site penalized in the next Google update.

#12 J9473920

J9473920

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:20 PM

Don't get me wrong, I trust you completely and I know we're not doing the right thing,

But to get the right advises I think I should share with you our difficulties and targets (:

Do you really believe doing stuff by the book can get us there?

Thanks again, you're awesome (: I wasted my time in few communities until I got here, and I must say that's the most helpful and knowledgeable community I found (:

#13 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,958 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:08 PM

Do you really believe doing stuff by the book can get us there? 

It's the only thing that can get you there. 

#14 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,930 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:54 PM

Always assuming that you are reading from the right book of course.

• J9473920 likes this

#15 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,618 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:19 AM

Chris: :)

--Torka :propeller:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,