• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Problem With A Redirect From An Old Site

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:08 PM

Hi Guys, I am having a problem which I would like your input on how to proceed.

I had a website from years ago that I had which I submitted to about 600 directories, got unusual ways to get backlinks, duplicate content etc. :(  5 to 9 years ago. It was producing well regardless of all the spammy stuff on it. Then 5 years ago, it got penalized. I did bunch of stuff to try to get him out of the penalty and then decided to built a new one.

I did well with this new site and ( with the help of Jill) is very good quality and producing good. Now 2 years ago, The old site went out of the penalty and ended up in the first page of some of our major keywords. To not deceiving visitors ( so they would not end up on 2 similar sites), I decided to redirect the old site to the new one which made sense.

Now a month ago, I got a manual penalty in webmaster tool. The example they gave were some low quality directory. I was not sure what to do. So I was able to remove my lisitngs from  these directories so I sent a request to the webmaster tool and they told me that there were more but all the example were from the old site. I got the whole list from link explorer and every low quality listing are  from the old site. I started to ask all these directories to remove my listing but it will take me for ever and some asked me 10$ to remove it!!!!!! It will be very time consuming to do this.

Now I still have maybe 20-25 good backlinks on the old site. I had a few solutions for this and wanted your input on it.

1) Keep doing what I do and try to remove as much as I can and keep the admin on it.

2) try to contact the sites which I have quality links from. Ask them to change the link for the new site and then cancel all the redirects

3) maybe cancel all the redirects now and then try to get the link changed

Any other ideas would be appreciated!

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,615 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:14 PM

Keep working on getting the bad backlinks removed for a while longer (you'll have to decide when to conclude you're not going to make any more progress on this) and then disavow whatever's left.

#3 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:37 PM

What do you mean by "disavow whatever's left"?

#4 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,596 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:15 AM

Use the Google Webmaster Disavow Links Tool to let Google know you know those links are questionable, you've tried to get them removed, but for whatever reason were unable to do so. Here's an article from Google Help that explains the process in detail.

HTH!

--Torka :propeller:

#5 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:05 AM

Thanks Torka, this is exactly what I needed. :)

Now would you think it would worth, while doing this to ask webmasters ( on legitimate and good links) to change links from  the old site the new one. I have doubt that a link passing from a redirected site does not have the same weight as it pass through a via instead of linking directly. It will not be much more work for me as I am in it.

Your thoughts on this? 

#6 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,596 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:06 AM

If it were me, I'd ask them to re-point the links. It's not so much that it's going to benefit you from an SEO perspective, but it will make long-term administration of your link profile cleaner.

It's also an opportunity to reach out to these webmasters and establish a relationship with them, which could be beneficial. For instance, it could be your new site has another page that would also be a candidate for a link from them, or perhaps they might decide to give your link more prominent placement on their site, or maybe they'll mention your site to their colleagues who could also end up linking to you.

Be sure to make your messages personal. Mention their site by name and make it clear you've visited there and are familiar with the site (maybe mention an article or resource they offer that you found particularly interesting or useful). Mention exactly where the link on their site is, and where it's currently pointing (and the page you recommend on your new site as the new link target). They're more likely to respond favorably if you make it easy for them, and if they don't think you're just sending out mass emails to everybody.

And don't fret about it if they don't change the link, or at least don't change it right away. They may be swamped with other things, or away on vacation or perhaps they aren't actively managing that site any more. As long as you've got the 301 redirects in place, you're still getting the benefit of the link, so no worries in that regard.

My :02:

#7 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:34 AM

Thanks Torka, it is a very good advice. Now I have downloaded a list of backlinks from seomoz and now the one like you suggested from webmaster tool. 

The 2 list are different. There are a lot of links that not on either list. Should I use the Google list first?

#8 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,596 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:50 AM

I don't think it makes any difference. Both tools are only going to show you a selection of your incoming links, so it's perfectly normal that they'd show different links and not include other links that you know exist. The important thing is to just get started somewhere. :)

#9 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:15 AM

Thanks, it is a long task to do so let's roll up our sleeves. :superman:  

#10 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:27 PM

I am encountering some nofollow links. Should I bother to ask them to remove the link or to disavow them.

Also some pages are 404, should I disavow them or just not take care of them?

#11 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,846 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:50 AM

I am encountering some nofollow links. Should I bother to ask them to remove the link or to disavow them.

WHY?????

Do not think that suggesting that nofollowed links are nothing to do with you might just be considered as "trying too hard"???

Also some pages are 404, should I disavow them or just not take care of them?

Again WHY????

If the URLs no longer exist HOW can they affect anything???

#12 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,615 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:05 AM

Disavowing a link is more or less equivalent to telling Google to treat it as if it had nofollow on it, so it really doesn't make sense to view a nofollow link as one that needs to be disavowed. It's kind of like choosing to paint a wall white because you noticed that it's painted white.

• Jill likes this

#13 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:10 AM

Good morning, So I went through every single link and sent request for removal ( feels very good cleaning up). Got some removal. I was just wondering how long should I wait until sending the ones that did not remove it to the disavow tool?

#14 Marchy

Marchy

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:59 PM

Do you think that 2-3 weeks with be good before starting to add in the disavow tool?

#15 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:27 PM

I don't really get why you feel the need to wait.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!