• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

2 Web Sights One Address

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jameswest

jameswest

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:57 AM

I'm getting mixed answers from this question, i have one website and would like another one or two to show other things i do but my seo guy says that it will get penalised in googles eyes if i have 2 websites with the same phone number and address, the guy is great at what he does and i have no problems but when everyone else says you can then i start to question it and then it makes him think i don't trust his judgement. everyones wrong occasionally and maybe this time he is, i don;t know, got a funny feeling the answers here will be mixed as well but worth a try, thanks in advance.

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,611 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:45 AM

It's probably not an issue for general SEO, but as far as local business results go, I think you'd be better off having a unique phone number for each business.

Are these activities so completely unrelated that they can't be marketed as being performed by a single business?

Have a look at the Google Places Quality Guidelines.

Website & Phone: Provide a phone number that connects to your individual business location as directly as possible, and provide one website that represents your individual business location.

• Use a local phone number instead of a call center number whenever possible.
  • Do not provide phone numbers or URLs that redirect or “refer” users to landing pages or phone numbers other than those of the actual business.

I read that to mean that you need to be able to answer a call and identify the business, rather than saying, "Hello, which of my businesses are you trying to reach?"

#3 jameswest

jameswest

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:37 PM

Thank you for that, .

i run a carpet and upholstery cleaning business called arcadia cleaning, but i also offer stone floor cleaning, i have both on my website but wanted to have a dedicated website just for stone floors as i feel i would benefit from someone searching for this type of cleaning rather than seeing me as a jack of all trades. i could have a different phone number but obviously not a different address. just don't know how to go about this, i see other companies in this niche with 2 or 3 websites, all with the same phone number and it doesn't seem to harm them.

#4 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:09 PM

Just because they're out there, that doesn't mean it's working or not for the competition. You don't really know unless you do some analysis.  Your services don't sound so unrelated that you must separate things out and go through a lot of extra work, expense, extra administration, social media, local placement, etc. With google places I believe you can select up to 5 categories.

I hear the jack of all trades concern.  Someone else can add their feedback on this point. It's a perception/appearance illusion.

If you've added relevant service categories and done a decent job with content that should help much. Demonstrate through your content that you are the 'expert'. Your home page could include 3 spotlight boxes at the top, one for each major service. Drill down into each for specifics.

There are plenty of opportunistic designers, developers, even SEO folks (omg!) who care more about the almighty dollar than the real benefits to you.  I'm just saying ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!