• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Is This Statement True Of False About The Most Valuable Link

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Romero04

Romero04

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:14 AM

"The most powerful incoming link we can ever hope to achieve –
the link that is going to have the most positive impact on our own
search engine rankings - will come from the #1 ranked website for
that keyword term."

On some level it sounds right but the more I think about it, it doesn't make sense. First of all if I want to rank for 'keyword A' why would anybody that already has a #1 ranking for 'keyword A' give me a backlink. Secondly it doesn't seem to make sense from a Google/relevance perspective because a webpage ranked for 'keyword A' linking to another webpage also ranked for 'keyword A' seems pointless and not very relevant for the visitor. There is no added value for the visitor because both webpage are about the same subject.

If you disagree what do think the most valuable link would be for any specific keyword. Imagine you can only get one link which would you want. (Regardless whether it would be likely that you can get that link)

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,108 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:44 PM

"The most powerful incoming link we can ever hope to achieve –
the link that is going to have the most positive impact on our own
search engine rankings - will come from the #1 ranked website for
that keyword term."

There are a lot of people who talk a lot of garbage about search engines!!!

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:41 PM

The page that's ranking at the top for the keyword has that ranking because of a variety of factors, so a link from that page will likely be quite relevant, but it may not pass much PageRank, The anchor text of the link matters, so simply having any link from this page may not make much difference. The position of the link on the page and its formatting may matter as well, so something tiny and well below the fold might not help so much. The number of other pages the top page links to matters, as does the anchor text of those links. What if the page that ranks at the top for keyword X links out to 100 different URLs, all of them with the anchor text of keyword X?

My preference would be a link from a highly popular site that an audience that would be interested in my site frequents -- preferably from its home page. I used to work for a site that had a link on the home page of the NY Times. That was nice. You had to switch a tab to see the link, but it was there in the page's source code. And it looks like the link's been changed to one that points to a page on the Times' site and requires submitting a form to get to my former employer. So they probably still get traffic from the link, but no more juice. Awwww...

#4 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:20 AM

... why would anybody that already has a #1 ranking for 'keyword A' give me a backlink

Perhaps because that person isn't particularly interested in SEO - or at least, SEO isn't his highest priority. He might have some genuinely useful information about the subject that he wishes to share. He thinks your site can throw some additional light on the subject, and would therefore be of interest to his visitors.

Mike

#5 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:35 AM

Or maybe they know enough about SEO that they optimized for that keyword in order to put themselves in a situation where they could charge a lot for a link from that page :sorry:

#6 dharrison

dharrison

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:38 AM

I'd love to know who came up with that quote originally. 

To a potential SEO client, what sounds more appealing:  one link that will get you to the top, or a combination of factors, mainly involving a lot of work and effort and constant monitoring?

*sighs*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!