• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Is There Anything Else I Can Do? Penguin

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DougeFisher

DougeFisher

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:17 AM

Hello,

I operate a small local business.

We started our site in 2003 and ranked at the top right up until last year.

Our link profile is pretty bad, mainly directory submissions, article directories(with spammy content).

We currently have about 700 domains linking to us.

We are outranked right now by other small local businesses with no text on their page and no backlinks.

In response we've completely redone our website, rewritten all text, made all on page factors much less 2003 style SEO optimized. We've also launched a Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and Pinterest page and have been actively building these, and it's going very well.

I've also now sent a disavow request in, naming most of our backlinks.

Other than what I've already done, is there anything else I could do to get back into Googles good graces and rank again?

#2 lesterj1

lesterj1

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:14 AM

Did you receive a manual action against you from Google?  If you have a Google Webmaster Tools account, you would have either received an email or there would be a notice in the account itself.

#3 DougeFisher

DougeFisher

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:40 AM

There's no manual actions at all

#4 lesterj1

lesterj1

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:39 PM

It sounds like you're doing things right.  You mentioned that you've rewritten the text of your pages and are engaging people in social media (great!), are you also creating new content that people would find useful or entertaining and might share or link to?  If so, well done.

Since you've already disavowed the links and don't have any manual actions against you, then you probably don't have anything else you need to do.  Something to note, though, is that Google prefers that you first try to have links removed before you submit a disavow request.  They'd rather the links were not there at all rather than just be told to ignore links.  Since you haven't received a manual penalty, you probably don't have to worry about that, but it's something to keep in mind.

The other thing I'd mention is that you're perspective needs to be that you are basically starting over in regards to your links.  You've just disavowed most of your links and, of those that remain, it's possible that some have already been devalued by Google (even if you didn't disavow them).  It just depends on whether Google thinks they are spammy.  So, even if link reports show your site has having links from hundreds of domains, you aren't getting credit for most of those and you won't.  So, know that it will take time to re-establish your authority, just like it would take time for a site with no links to grow.  But keep producing interesting/valuable content engaging people on social media and you'll get there.

#5 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:48 AM

And if you're talking about local search results, it's possible some of those results you're seeing aren't due to SEO. Some of those businesses might rank higher because they're closer to "town center" than you are.

Plus, keep in mind any rankings you see are just that -- the rankings YOU see. Which might or (more likely) might not be the same as what somebody else sees. It's entirely possible those other businesses appear to rank highly for you because, in the course of checking up on the competition, you click on their sites more often than your own when you run a search.

Keep in mind, rankings may be visible, but they only tell part of the story. You don't know how much traffic they are (or are not) getting from those rankings, and you don't know how many of their site visitors they're able to convert into actual customers (which is, after all, the real name of the game). Rankings are visible and cool, but they don't pay the bills.

If your site is better (organized, attractive, informative) than your competition you're more likely to get a higher conversion rate than they are. What that means: they have to work a lot harder than you do to make a sale from their website. In fact, if their sites are really crappy, they may actually be losing potential customers as a result.

There are two ways to increase website revenue. One is to improve the conversion rate (i.e. get more results from the traffic you already have). The other is to increase traffic. Improving your conversion rate gives you a much bigger bang for the buck, and it involves stuff that's all under your control: your site navigation, appearance and content. (And it has the side effect of making your site more attractive to the search engines, so it could also lead to more traffic eventually.) So, guess which one I'd focus on? ;)

My :02:

--Torka :propeller:

• lesterj1 likes this

#6 lesterj1

lesterj1

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:15 AM

Great response Torka!

#7 DougeFisher

DougeFisher

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:26 AM

Thanks for the replies,

It's both local and organic so queries bring up local results while some bring up the regular organic.

Our site is far, far better than our competitions and as a business our reputation is far superior.

Social wise we're much more engaged.

Location doesn't seem to be the problem right now as we're actually better placed physically than those out ranking us.

I'm just going to keep boosting our social profile, user engagement. I've disavowed the bad links and I think that's all I can do, the bad links are slowly dying on their own in fact 90% are now 404ing so they may solve themselves.

A few of our competitors are spamming so hopefully they'll get caught as well, at some point.

#8 lesterj1

lesterj1

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:40 PM

BTW -  You can always report your competitors to Google if they are spamming.

#9 letsassists

letsassists

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:10 AM

If you haven't received any emails from Google web spam controller team, then it is obviously not a manual action, your website has been hit hard by both Panda and Penguin.

• Get rid off the spammy links by using Google Webmaster's Link Disavow tool.
  • First, of all each and every webpages should contain informative contents and keywords being wisely used(without staffing).
  • Internal linking between the webpages should be logical, this truly helps the web crawlers to crawl your enetire site without any obstacles.
  • Stop old aged/traditionallink building procedures and start focusing on relevant and natural link building.All the sources of backlinks should be relevant.
  • Guest blogging is the most preffered off page technique.But backlinks sources should be  relevant informative blogs and not content farms.
  • No usage of same anchor texts again and again.Diversify it and make it look logical to the viewers.
  • Try to fetch referral traffics via niche groups of social medias.
  • Minimize the page loading time.
  • Opt for Google/Bing local listings along with listings in renowned business listing directories.

#10 lesterj1

lesterj1

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:54 AM

• Stop old aged/traditionallink building procedures and start focusing on relevant and natural link building.All the sources of backlinks should be relevant.
  • Guest blogging is the most preffered off page technique.But backlinks sources should be  relevant informative blogs and not content farms.

FYI - Google has now clearly said that they do not want links from guest blogging to be followed.  While they haven't made link building by guest blogging against their guidelines yet, it wouldn't surprise me it that happened down the road.  Guest blogging should really be used to drive traffic, build brand/author awareness, and increase readership for your own blog.  It shouldn't be used for link building.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!