• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Not All Url's Disavowed, So Does Google Ignore Them?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kslnor

kslnor

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:07 PM

I submitted a disavow file several months ago, as I believed some of the links pointing to my site were spammy, nasty, stupid low quality sites, etc...Not sure if it matters, but these domains end with.com.br and they appear to be completely irrevelant to my site.  Perhpas they are directories...not 100% sure. Regardless, they link to my site several thousand times.

My disavow text was created so the entire url would be disavowed:   domain:thesite'sdomain.com

In looking through my G. Webmaster Tools, Links Pointing to Your Site section, a few of the domains in my disavow file still appear within the list of "who links the most" even though they were listed in my disavow file (at the top of the list, too).  They look like subdomains as they are similar to: www.section-of-site.guide.thesite'sdomain.com. 

So I have a few questions:

1) any idea why Google would ignore my disavow request for a few domains?

2) does Google tend to ignore some disavow requests thinking the links are not bad?

3) is it wise to submit another disavow file with just the few domains Google seemd to have overlooked?

In researching this issue, I come upon some conflicting information.  Not too hard to believe (sarcasm...).  So I'm checking in with the experts here.

I do not have any manual actions or any other oddity I can think of.

Thanks for your assistance.

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:19 PM

I've only used the disavow tool once, and I had lots of subdomains to deal with, so I listed them that way:
domain:sub.domain.com

And it seems to have worked. It didn't save the site, but Webmaster Tools is no longer listing those sites as linking to it. Yippee.

I wouldn't be surprised if, when it's a subdomain you're disavowing, it should be phrased that way. Disavowing the root might not include the subdomain, illogical though that might seem.

You should be able to reopen and edit the original disavow request, and you should see an indication in Webmaster Tools that the request has been updated after that's done.

• lesterj1 likes this

#3 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:37 AM

There are some shared hosting arrangements where the individual sites can be given subdomains off the parent hosting company's domain (username.hostingcompany.com) -- for instance, wordpress.com or blogspot.com. So those subdomains could represent stand-alone sites owned by completely different people. Some of those sites might be spammy but others might be good. Google doesn't necessarily "know" (or want to spend the time researching) which subdomains are owned/operated by the same people who own/operate the main domain and which are separately owned/operated sites. So it makes sense to me that Google would require you to specify which subdomains you don't like.

--Torka :propeller:

#4 lesterj1

lesterj1

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:11 AM

I agree.  Google tends to deal with subdomains as separate sites.  So, it would make sense that they would treat them as separate in the disavow tool as well.

Google addresses this generally in their blog:

http://googlewebmast...avow-links.html

"Q: Can I disavow something.example.com to ignore only links from that subdomain?

A: For the most part, yes. For most well-known freehosts (e.g. wordpress.com, blogspot.com, tumblr.com, and many others), disavowing "domain:something.example.com" will disavow links only from that subdomain. If a freehost is very new or rare, we may interpret this as a request to disavow all links from the entire domain. But if you list a subdomain, most of the time we will be able to ignore links only from that subdomain."

#5 kslnor

kslnor

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:55 PM

Hmmm...after looking deeper into the external links in question, I am super confused. 

Modified for this forum, this is an example of one of the THOUSANDS of external links supposedly pointing to my site:  http : // words-here.sub.domain.com.br/my-blog-post/

There are many more similar to this, with the domain.com.br portion consisting of only two domains.  The balance of the data in the links are all different (if that makes sense).

When I enter the link/any of the links in the search bar, it/they seem to be redirected to a site called searchstoreapp dotcom, which appears to be a Google custom search page.

When I enter the only domain.com.br portion in the search bar, either the server is not found or I see a Google custom search page.

When i submitted my original disavow file, I requested the domain.com.br be ignored but since they appear to be sub domains they weren't ignored.

I'm confused, and I'm not sure if these links are nasty and hurtful or if I should leave them (not disavow them).  Like I said, there are thousands.  For my own piece of mind I don't want to see these links listed in my Webmaster Tools.

Can I leave them and add something to my robots.txt file so my site is not crawled by anything with the domain.com.br in question?

Not sure what to do here...

Edited by kslnor, 11 September 2013 - 04:56 PM.

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:53 AM

You don't need to do anything. Everyone has those kinds of scraper links. Google just ignores them b

• lesterj1 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!