• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Sudden Drop Of Blog Ranking.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 NickVanHoeve

NickVanHoeve

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:58 AM

Hello there, since I'm new to here, I hope that I'm posting in the right section. Look, I'm mainly receiving around 20,000-18,000 pageviews each day. But on Aug 13th, the views starting to decrease from 15000, 8000, 5000.. Of course this sudden changes would makes me worried. So today, I went into my webmaster and I saw that I got over 150> crawl error and the error looks weird, like there there is a word "possible" "plush:, etc in middle and followed by the same url. The error is on the same blog post, on the same day, and it got around 100> 404 error for around 2-3 days, then the error stop itself. It's like my site got spammed by something, but does that affect my whole blog pageviews? :l I will attach with my blog statistic and the error, hoping that someone out there would help me. Thank you. 

Blog Stats.jpg

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,625 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:57 AM

Try clicking the URLs that are displayed in Webmaster Tools as 404s. That will bring you to a page that indicates how those URLs are linked to. It may be that someone was trying to break into your server, or maybe someone tried to link to you but made a mistake.

#3 NickVanHoeve

NickVanHoeve

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:21 PM

Try clicking the URLs that are displayed in Webmaster Tools as 404s. That will bring you to a page that indicates how those URLs are linked to. It may be that someone was trying to break into your server, or maybe someone tried to link to you but made a mistake.

:O I've deleted it all since it makes me feel uncomfortable with all the stupid links. :l I just looked at my google analytics real-time view section, and I got 0 active visitors. :o Normally, I'm getting around 45-65> The stats are getting worse. This my traffic changes from the webmaster. Can you help me? This is so weird!  :cry2:

YsdxTHh.jpg

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,984 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:15 AM

Hire an SEO consultant to look into it for you. 

• ckilgs likes this

#5 squidjam

squidjam

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:37 PM

NickVanHoeve, I feel for you.

I've been trying to troubleshoot a similar drop in traffic that happened to me around the 17th of August. That long but not-very-insightful thread is here: http://www.highranki...e-2#entry331379

There are so many things that don't make sense about such a significant drop to me, but I find myself so irritated and frustrated that it's hard to put into words.

I did find a fairly good guide by Dan Thies. You may find it helpful: http://seobraintrust.com/perpv1/

I have never done any questionable link building nonsense and my content isn't crap. From what I've read anyway, Google doesn't expect every single thing on a site to be amazing or long or whatever positive "super duper content" adjectives you want to choose. I've seen numbers like 60% of your content should be original.

But at this point in life...after spending over 16 years online and in my time as both a website owner/publisher and a web developer, I have to say that quite honestly, I find most of the SEO stuff just a bunch of crap.

If you ask questions, you'll get best guesses, because really, NO ONE KNOWS. It's all just experimenting to see whether what you do has any effect on the conversions on your site.

Google isn't going to tell you what things they look at when ranking their sites and it all seems kinda silly anyway. Search results are relative to your location and what you have searched for before. While there are some things that seem to be good ideas (like having a keyword phrase in the title of your pages/posts) there aren't a whole lot of things that I can say even the SEO gurus would agree on. And who can argue with them?

Good luck with hiring an SEO "consultant." Where would one even begin to find someone that they think could be trusted? When you do find someone that might be, the fees these people charge is beyond what most webmasters could or want to pay, and it's difficult to even determine whether such a "consultant" really knows anything. (Jill is an exception, I find.)

This forum is helpful, but even so, sometimes the one-sentence answers don't help much to educate or inform. I won't even get into some of the smart a$$ stuff I witnessed here. It's discouraging.

I will let you know that you aren't alone. In the span of the past two weeks, I have finally seen some posts on other forums where people have experienced these major drops in traffic as well. It's not a whole lot of comfort, but I mention it anyway.

I think I've just finally had my fill of much of it at this point. I really think that sometimes it's best to turn off the noise, use some common sense, and put content on your website. Period.  ;)

#6 shera1

shera1

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:08 AM

My blog also dropped on exactly Aug 17th. Traffic dropped by about 75%. I was away on holidays at the time and started keeping notes on any changes I made to site and none were made that I think would do that. 

#7 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:20 AM

I haven't been able to find out anything about any Google updates on the 17th. There was a Panda data refresh announced by Google that they said took place around the 19th. I believe it was also in that general timeframe that they rolled out their new Hummingbird algorithm.

So perhaps what you're seeing are some side effects of those changes?

--Torka :propeller:

#8 squidjam

squidjam

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:33 AM

Interesting cooincidence we have Shera. I, too, was away on vacation when the drop in traffic happened.

I've been pretty good at keeping notes when I start doing things to my site, whether it seems like it would make any difference or not. I don't see anything that would have caused such a significant drop. Only thing I could figure was a 301 redirect that I did on the article that got a ton of traffic on the site, but the redirect is working perfectly so don't think that's it.

I've checked with my host, checked a bunch of other things. Still stumped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!