• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Webpage No Longer Ranking For Target Keyword

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AussieRob

AussieRob

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:51 PM

Hi, 

I run a property management company in a small town (50,000 people). I have a rental listings page that pulls its property feed from a third party. I was ranking bottom of page 1/ top of page 2 for the local search phrase "[location] rentals". However, my rental listings page has literally disappeared for that search phrase. My home page now shows on page 2 for it. Not good!

I have an understanding of SEO principles, and I have used a variety tools such as Screaming Frog to try and diagnose the problem. I thought that it might be duplicate content since the individual listing pages have the same content as that on the general listings page. However, each one of the individual property pages is canonicalized back to the rental listings page. I have my keywords infused naturally through my title tag, and there is now stuffing in the body of the page. The listings page has just as many inbound links as its major competitors, and even has a better domain authority score according to OpenSiteExplorer. 

I'm really at a loss here. I'm losing valuable traffic to my website. I never got any notifications of a violation in Webmaster tools. 

What are some ways I can try and diagnose the problem? Any ideas on what might be the problem?

Any help/ suggestions here would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Robbie. 

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,771 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:14 PM

I'm really at a loss here. I'm losing valuable traffic to my website. I never got any notifications of a violation in Webmaster tools.

Have you actually lost converting traffic or do you just think you are "missing out"?

#3 AussieRob

AussieRob

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:17 PM

I have completely disappeared from the organic search results for my targeted search phrase. 

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,911 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:32 AM

What percentage of the traffic to your site was lost?

#5 AussieRob

AussieRob

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:47 AM

I've seen about a 50% decrease for that search term. My targeted webpage doesn't show up for the search anymore, just my homepage.

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,911 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:35 AM

Check for any of these. SEO Killers:

http://www.highranki...seo-killers-345

#7 AussieRob

AussieRob

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:58 AM

I did a comprehensive sweep of my site using Webmaster tools and the link you provided. Apart from a couple of duplicate tag/content classes on a few of my blog posts (which I corrected), there is nothing at all within the HTML IMPROVEMENTS section in Webmaster tools that indicates a duplicate content issue on my rental listings page. 

My website does however pulls its rental listing data from a third party. When I go to my main rental listing page it has the URL below:

example.com/XXX-XXX-rentals/

Then, when I click "view details" I get taken to an individual property page. These individual pages have the following URL structure:

example.com/XXX-XXX-rentals/listing/567983/?address=1533$15Eagle%15Drive

When I click to view the page source on one of the individual listing pages, the rel=canonical meta tag is directing to:

example.com/XXX-XXX-rentals/listing/

Does the URL structure above highlight any potential problems? I thought that maybe there were some cross-domain duplicate content issues since the property information is being pulled from a third party? Or, since the individual rental pages are canonicalized to example.com/XXX-XXX-rentals/listing/ (which is a blank webpage) instead of example.com/XXX-XXX-rentals/ that this might be the problem. 

Once again, my rental listings page is being indexed when I do a site:example.com Google search, however I can't even find the page when I search on a given targeted local keyword search such as {location} rentals. 

Do you have any other ideas what might be going on?

Thanks,

Robbie. 

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,911 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:31 PM

No way to know without doing a full lost traffic site audit, sorry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!