• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Responsive Design / Possible Duplicate Content

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:08 AM

I am working with a responsive joomla theme.  For the most part it is good, but I have a couple pages that are annoying me. Because of the type of content on the pages they will not work well when in responsive mode for mobile devices so I need to deliver differing design concepts to normal desktop vs mobile visitors.

To accommodate this need the theme shop has provided a couple css classes to allow you to hide content from desktop vs mobile and vice-versa. Although the content is hidden, it still exists in the page so in theory although the mobile-friendly content does not display to desktop visitors it lives symbiotically. In my view of the world not only might this slow down the page, but it feels like duplicate content, perhaps even sublime keyword-stuffing.

Your IMHO much appreciated.

#2 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:13 AM

Regardless of the answer, I found a solution that gives some flexibility.  http://mobiledetect.net/. With this function installed I can set up 2 variations of the page, and deliver non-duplicate, keyword content stuffed seeming pages.

#3 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,586 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:22 AM

Thanks for posting that resource! Looks interesting.

--Torka :propeller:

#4 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:37 PM

No  one has responded otherwise but IMHO employing a CSS class to hide text from the visitor's eyes but not the indexing bot is stupid for the forementioned reasons.  Maybe if it's only used in minimal instances of content it's not a problem, but with pages that need full customization for desktop vs mobile or even worse, a specific mobile device (possibly 3 versions) this is a poor solution.

My client had some pages he wanted highly customized for desktop view  using tables which would be a catastrophe on a mobile phone. I just finished converting a page, adding mobile-detect and it seems to work well, using the table version for desktop users and a simple float version for phones. And no hidden duplicate content whether the search engines are smart enough to sort it out or not. Why leave the decision up to them?

Edited by bobmeetin, 30 August 2013 - 11:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!