• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

404 Error Handling

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jmatura

jmatura

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:26 PM

Just read the new issue of [url=http://www.highrankings.com/newsletter]High Rankings Advisor[/url] 365.  In regards to Technical SEO Issues and 404 errors using G Webmaster Tools at Crawl -> Crawl Errors i have Access Denied - 2 Errors and  Not Found - 166 Errors.  Below that is the listing of all the urls not found.

These pages were all erased as they offered very little content and/or affiliate links to ebay.

But in regards to Jill's newsletter this could be a big seo problem.  How do I clean this mess up?  Should all these urls link back to the home page or appropriate category page now?  thanks

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,983 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:30 PM

You'll want to check how Google is finding them. Are they linked from other pages within your site? If so, fix those first. If they're linked from other sites, then a 301 redirect is in order.

If they're not linked from anywhere any more, than they'll eventually go away.

#3 jmatura

jmatura

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:23 AM

None of my current pages are sill linking to pages in question, with some pages being linked from old internal pages that haven't existed for years. Kind of strange.

But with 166 to check and code a rewrite for I have some work to do.  Thanks again for the article.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!