• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Two Domains Pointing At One Website

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bendproweb

bendproweb

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:55 PM

I have a client with a website that has great rankings. Recently they purchased a new domain name that has keywords relevant to their content. They want it to just redirect to their original website.  I have found tons of opinions as to whether or not this will hurt their rankings.  If I park the domain and just use a 301 redirect will it hurt their ranking?  Is there even any seo benefit to having the second domain parked and redirected like this?  Since it's parked I don't think anyone will ever even find the url to be redirected.

Any opinions on this?   Thanks!

Edited by Jill, 28 August 2013 - 07:37 AM.
Removed domain names

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:38 AM

If I park the domain and just use a 301 redirect will it hurt their ranking?  Is there even any seo benefit to having the second domain parked and redirected like this?

No and no. 

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,615 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:04 AM

By "new domain name" do you mean new as in registered for the first time, or just new to your client? In other words, was there ever (or is there now) a site at that domain?

If it's actually new, and doesn't already have links and organic traffic, then you're right that no one will ever find it, so it won't contribute anything to your client's traffic. For what it's worth, it will keep someone else from getting ahold of the domain name, but if that's all you have to gain from this, you don't need to set up the redirect. Just have the client hold on to the registration.

#4 bendproweb

bendproweb

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:37 AM

Thanks. Someone did own the domain before, they just got it, I'm not sure if there ever was a site on it.  I agree about keeping it out of someone else's hands though. 

Now they're thinking about just changing over completely to the new domain instead of redirecting thinking it would give them better ranking because of the keywords in the domain.  With all of the changes in Google recently, I don't know that it would help at all.  If they did, and I redirected the old domain to it, would all of the old inbound links they have from other websites pointing at the original domain still count or would they have to have all of them change their links to the new domain?

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:32 PM

If they did, and I redirected the old domain to it, would all of the old inbound links they have from other websites pointing at the original domain still count or would they have to have all of them change their links to the new domain?

The 301-redirects would transfer the link popularity. But it also wouldn't hurt to try to get as many links changed to point to the new domain as well. 

But they may be shooting themselves in the foot having a keyword rich domain rather than a brand. Who remembers "Keyword Keyword Company"? Way too generic, IMO.

#6 bendproweb

bendproweb

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:38 PM

Thanks Jill.  I totally agree about the branding.  I think it's way more important.  Plus they have great rank already, why mess with it I think.  Good to know about the links, I've always been concerned that there would be some impact.  I appreciate all the input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!