• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Can You Use An Image To Avoid Duplicate Content Issue

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mitchiem

mitchiem

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:23 PM

Hi I was wondering if I can use an image with major benfits of doing business with my Company on 52 of the local pages for my company. eg. www.mycompany.com/atlanta-burgers all the way to www.mycompany.com/roswell-burgers (52 locations deep)

Each page has 10 bullet points of the same benefits and instead of copying and pasting them on each of the 52 cities which will produce duplicate content hell for my site...I was wondering if I had an image with these 10 benefits would avoid duplicate content for each page? Also would I have to name each image for each of the 52 locations different names? thought it is the same image to again avoid duplicate content issues.

Please advise on how to best do this using images as thinking up ways to reword 10 sentences for 52 different cities we service is a nightmare.

Thanks

Mitchie

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,877 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:35 PM

You could use an image, but that sort of duplication (presuming there's other content on the page) is likely not a problem for Google.

• mitchiem likes this

#3 mitchiem

mitchiem

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:40 PM

Thanks Jill. Much appreciated

#4 mitchiem

mitchiem

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:40 PM

Jill sorry to bug but would the ultimate fix be to create a link to a single benefits or features page that links to each of the 52 City pages of my site. This way the content on each City page will be different thus eliminating the duplicate content but the features and benefits will be on a single page thus again eliminating dup content issues?

Please advise if this is good practise?

Respectfully

mitchie

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,877 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:36 AM

Jill sorry to bug but would the ultimate fix be to create a link to a single benefits or features page that links to each of the 52 City pages of my site. This way the content on each City page will be different thus eliminating the duplicate content but the features and benefits will be on a single page thus again eliminating dup content issues?

Please advise if this is good practise?

That's the best way, really. 

#6 mitchiem

mitchiem

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:51 AM

Thank-you so much Jill. That is the path I will take then.

Mitchie

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,877 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:54 AM

Sorry, all, there was a really good response post from Qwerty before my last one which I inadvertently had merged into another. He said:

That can work too, but assuming you'll have enough unique content to get past all the duplication on these pages (and I'm afraid I can't tell you exactly how much is enough), you don't need to worry about it, as Jill said. And because you don't need to worry about it, your priority here should be to find the way that provides the best user experience. Are people reading the page going to prefer to see this content on the page, or would they be better served by clicking through to a page that concentrates on that particular piece of information (and, because it's optimized for that information, can be found in organic searches for related keyword phrases)?

Do you expect people who read one of these pages to read others, that would also contain these ten bullet points? If so, that might be a good reason to move the bullet points to their own page, because you probably don't want people reading two or three pages and thinking to themselves that too much of the information on them is the same.

#8 Pam

Pam

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:55 AM

HI All. THanks for the interesting post.

I have a similar situation with a new client. Their competitors all seem to use City/Location pages. Each of these city pages includes the City Name and Zipcode, but all the rest of the content seems to be exactly the same.  I thought this would fall into the "duplicate page" issue with google.

THey also have dozens of  footer or sidebar links pointing to each City page: example:  CityName 12345

I thought this kind of footer "stuffing" was considered  bad practice (read your very good blog post on this Jill!).

However this site is ranking very well and is one of the biggest competitors.

Is there an advantage to using the City pages? And if so, do you include links to each of these City pages from within the site?

#9 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,580 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:36 AM

I've been saying the search engines would do something to shut down that tactic for probably ten years, but I still see examples of it apparently working.

#10 Pam

Pam

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:26 PM

Yes. I have 2 new clients, both local contractors and their main competition both use this tactic and it seems to work very well. THey have great ranking for top search terms.  My clients want to know if they should do that since it's working for the other guys. I tell them best not to in case google does decide to do something about this, but as you say, this is a long-standing tactic that still works.

Do you know of instances where sites have been penalized for this?

Is there a middle ground? we set up City pages and optimize each page for the location and include some boiler-plate text but use the other site pages to optimize for services.

Should we include the location links in the site as well? or just allow these to get picked up by the search engines?

Thoughts?

Edited by Pam, 10 September 2013 - 01:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!