• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Home Page Optimization

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bsnrn

bsnrn

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:05 PM

I have a site about "oncology nurse certification" we have several sub categories (courses/pages) i.e. "pediatric oncology nurse certification" "LPN oncology nurse certification" since this is such a small niche, 90% of all conversions come from users typing in "oncology nurse certification" i used to rank 4/5 for this keyword "oncology nurse certification" I wanted to try to rank top 3 for "oncology nurse certification" so I hired and SEO to redesign my site in Wordpress. My SEO said that my home page should NOT be optimized for my main keyword phrase "oncology nurse certification" and changed the page that shows all of our courses to be optimized for "oncology nurse certification" since this change i have dropped from 4 to 9 for my top converting phrase "oncology nurse certification" 

My SEO states: "it is very difficult to optimize the home page. You cannot build inbound links to it using the terms, as it looks like spam. Plus in Google eyes, the best page is your course page and not the home page which is an overview."

is this correct, or should i optimize my home page for the narrow top converting phrase "oncology nurse certification" and then the inner pages for the long tail keyword phrases: "oncology nurse certification courses""pediatric oncology nurse certification" "LPN oncology nurse certification"

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,615 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:21 AM

It's getting harder to build links with keywords in the anchor text to any page, but if your home page is about that phrase (especially if that phrase is part of your company name), then I don't see links to the home page being any spammier than links to an internal page. If you let the people linking to you choose their own anchor text, you're likely to find that only some of them use that exact phrase, and you're going to look far less spammy.

And if that's what the site is about, with internal pages being about more specific, longer tail variations on this topic, it makes sense that that's what the home page would be about.

What is your SEO suggesting you put on the home page -- some statement about how your site is about something you can't talk about, but people can learn about it on another page?

By the way, with all your mentions of the phrase in your post, you may find this page competing with you in the next week or two :)

#3 copywriter

copywriter

HR 7

• 1,856 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:00 PM

By the way, with all your mentions of the phrase in your post, you may find this page competing with you in the next week or two :)

I was just thinking the same thing. It sounds like you're trying to optimize this post for the engines (but by using very outdated practices).

#4 bsnrn

bsnrn

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:33 AM

Thanks for your input.  I can see why you might think i was trying to optimize the post, but I was not (my business and keywords are actually very different.  I was using this as an example to make my question clear).

Thanks for the help!!

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,848 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:18 AM

I can see why you might think i was trying to optimize the post,

After trying to read the post, .... I sincerely hope you weren't!

You would have thought that after TWENTY YEARS of having search engines around everybody would be clued up to the fact that the root URL ('Home' page) is no longer the 'most important' URL of a website.

Do any search for anything that is not a site name or domain name and just count how many of the results are NOT root URLs. I'll wager that "inner" pages outnumber the 'home' pages 10 to 0 in the OVERWHELMING  majority of cases

And of course they do that WITHOUT ANY 'link-building' being done at all.

Edited by chrishirst, 30 August 2013 - 06:20 AM.

#6 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,615 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:14 PM

That's true, but I still think that the home page has a particular role: whereas a given page's content says "this is what this page is about," the home page's content should say "this is what this site is about," and if the keyword phrase the SEO wants to optimize an internal page for expresses what the whole site is about, it belongs on the home page.

That's not about the relative difficulty of building links, or the relative strength of the pages. It's about how you structure your information architecture in order to represent what your business does.

#7 Jerald

Jerald

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:56 AM

I actually think it would be better for you to create a static homepage with a main long and keyword rich article.

You should than link from this article to other related articles you will write and each one will be optimized for an LSI keyword that you can find using Google related searches or the great Wonder Wheel...

#8 copywriter

copywriter

HR 7

• 1,856 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:13 AM

Jerald, I think BSNRN is talking about copy, not aritcles. 

If by "LSI keyword" you mean synonym, then yes, those are necessary for good SEO copywriting, but you'd first need a primary keyphrase to optimize for.

Unless I missed something (and that is very possible) the Wonder Wheel is dead.  Has been for years.  Google does have the Contextual Targeting Tool.  There are some fake Wonder Wheels out there, but none of them are from Google as far as I know.

• Jill likes this

#9 thienlyma90

thienlyma90

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:42 PM

I think the overall design is pretty good. My advice would be:
The home page should still include keywords and information that you want to target, say oncology nurse certifications. Then the specific pages will have unique keywords that will target more specific keyword phrases, such as oncology nurse certification courses. This way you have multiple pages, with unique titles, meta descriptions AND content. All of these pages must have viable and useful content for the niche you described. This will only help to improve the overall exposure for your website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!