• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Historic Traffic Data

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Arpeggio

Arpeggio

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:35 AM

Hello.  I'm new here having lurked a while reading the forums now and then.  I would like to ask a question about how to find historical data on how a website has fared on search engines. 

Up until now I have used the line chart of how many keywords rank in the free version of SEM rush, but as a small business with only that one use for it, the full price for everthing it has to offer is not worth it for me.  I would like to know if there is anything else out there that shows a historical chart of either traffic or rankings.

When looking around I like to see if a site has been hit by an algorithm. Sometimes I will see a good site that I would like to contribute to, but then see in SEM that it has been hit hard, sometimes they go down then back up which gives the impression the they have done something about it.

Is this a worthwhile tactic or might it not matter that much that much? for example, so long as it's a relevant website and my involvement is relevant and non-spammy?  say, if it does no harm, but is slightly less better?  I know that's a bit of a vague question.

Best Regards,

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:12 PM

Google Analytics, of course! 

You don't need to know rankings, just traffic.

#3 Arpeggio

Arpeggio

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:15 AM

Hi Jill, thanks.  I agree about traffic, I'm apprehensive of high PR with no to little traffic and tend not to go for these, while rankings are surely only relevent if they have traffic.

My question wasn't that clear until the 3rd paragraph of my original post.  What I am looking for is to see a timeline of traffic / ranking data for websites I don't own, in order to judge whether they are worth getting involved with in terms of myself contributing my writing or obtaining a link to my site which would be relevant and useful to them.  I'm not aware that I am able to do that with Google Anylitics (I am on there) I thought I could only do that for my own site.

Regards,

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:43 AM

Oh then competitive analysis sites such as compete.com or Search Metrics would work. 

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,939 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:13 AM

What I am looking for is to see a timeline of traffic / ranking data for websites I don't own, in order to judge whether they are worth getting involved with in terms of myself contributing my writing or obtaining a link to my site which would be relevant and useful to them

Then you are "getting involved" for ALL the wrong reasons!

To paraphrase:

"Ask not what that site can do for you, ... ask what you can do for that site."

Being altruistic about your actions will bring rewards, and usually from an unexpected source. Do you REALLY think that we offer advice and knowledge here because we EXPECT to get something from it?

We all fervently hope that our efforts WILL be appreciated and rewarded in one way or another, but there are no expectations about it, So the information is of a much higher quality than at many places that only serve as a promotional platform.

There are no 'benefits' such as signatures for 'link building' and among the many posts that the "staff" and core users have made you will find relatively few links to any of our own site URLs, any that do are there simply to emphasise a point or provide additional information that is beyond the scope of a forum post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!