• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

I'd Love Some Opinions On This 'new Trend' In Web Design.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Say Yebo

Say Yebo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:45 AM

I have an SEO client who is about to replace their perfectly fine home page with a page that's essentially a navigation bar and a full-screen video.

The explanation: This is a new trend in web design. This forced interaction method pushes the viewer to wade through the website to find information, cutting down on high bounce rates and making the content that more valuable. 

This client is aware of the role of text in on-page SEO.

Your thoughts appreciated...

Caro

Oh..there is also a button in the middle of the page that says 'Learn more', though strictly speaking, they haven't learned anything at this point.

Edited by Say Yebo, 15 August 2013 - 10:48 AM.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,916 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:50 AM

This client is aware of the role of text in on-page SEO.

Then what more needs to be said?  If they are willing to sacrifice SEO (and usability) for some sort of web design trend, then so be it.

• Say Yebo likes this

#3 copywriter

copywriter

HR 7

• 1,856 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:58 AM

I'd rephrase your quote to say...

"This forced interaction method pushes the viewer to wade through the website to find information, cutting down on high bounce rates and making the website visitor frustrated and eager to leave!"

They are the client and they have final say, but I think it's a huge mistake.

#4 Say Yebo

Say Yebo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:27 AM

I'm glad to hear these affirmations.

Thanks...sometimes one just needs to hear it from someone else :)

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,788 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:16 PM

Oh..there is also a button in the middle of the page that says 'Learn more',

1995 called, .... They want their website back!

:)

• Say Yebo likes this

#6 Say Yebo

Say Yebo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:49 PM

1995 called, .... They want their website back!

:)

Oh my gosh...you are SO spot on with that! It did occur to me that I was going back to the nightmare days of 'splash pages' :)

#7 Arpeggio

Arpeggio

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:26 AM

I think it depends on what business you are in and what is on the video.  The video ad of the film "Pacific Rim" then yes I will watch that all the way through, but for most business perhaps not.

A video takes away the viewers control of time, different information is presented when the video creator decides what point to put it on the video.  On a website with text, menus etc. the viewer has choices as to what information to read based on their immediate interest.

Perhaps the opposite could be said of videos wanting to becoming more like websites; when DVD's became interactive, instead of only being able to watch a video from beginning to end, only being able to control the point in time by the timer itself, you could chose which scene, watch outtakes, behind the scenes and how it was made etc.  If it were me I'd have a balance of both but not video alone.

#8 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,587 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:44 AM

Generally speaking, when I land on a page and the only thing there is a video (unless I'm on YouTube or Hulu), I'll leave. I don't have the time to waste sitting through somebody's idea of a "compelling" video when I really just wanted to quickly find a bit of information.

Besides, I'm in an office and don't necessarily want a video playing when my boss walks by, even if it might be related to work.

I'd further edit Karon's edit of your quote:

"This forced interaction method pushes the viewer to wade through the website to find information, sending your bounce rates through the roof and making the website visitor frustrated and eager to leave!"

My :02:

--Torka :propeller:

#9 Say Yebo

Say Yebo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:00 AM

...sending your bounce rates through the roof and making the website visitor frustrated and eager to leave!"

Ironically, improved bounce rates are the client's logic behind making this move in the first place. He seems to believe that the harder you have to search to find your info the deeper you'll dig and more you'll value it. Like a virtual treasure hunt.

#10 squidjam

squidjam

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:29 PM

It sounds like your clients has never spent any time online trying to find anything  ;)  Why anyone would want to frustrate their website visitor is beyond me. People don't have time nor the desire to do a "treasure hunt" on a site. That's crazy.

#11 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,916 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:33 PM

Why do they give a crap about bounce rate?

#12 seocoffee

seocoffee

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:31 PM

Might be ok for a video site, ie trailer, but ive read that it might not work to well in the search engines. Just meh 2 cents.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!