• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Different Domain + Same Content = What?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 EagerToLearn

EagerToLearn

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:30 AM

Hello High Rankings,

I am a brand new member (trying hard not to get my newbie-gunk on anything). So far I am loving the posts and helpful content. I was hoping you could help answer my question or give me insight to find a answer. 

Question: If I purchase different domains and upload the exact same website to each of the domains, will they each be able to reach the top page of search engines or will they be disqualified due to duplicate content?

Example: My business currently owns a domain ranked on the top page of Google (when certain keywords are searched). If I buy 9 other domains and upload the *exact* website to each of those 9 domains and use the same SEO tactics that I have for our current website, can all of those new 9 domains be listed on the first page of Google? Or will they be canceled out (or not get ranked high) since it is duplicate content? 

Goal: Since our business market is very niche, our goal is to dominate the majority of Googles first page by using completely different domains with different keywords that people search. 

Question #2: Would it be the same answer to the above if instead of uploading the exact duplicate content, we simply created a redirect domain? So in example, if we purchase those 9 domains and instead of uploading our site we simply redirect that URL to our main site, and then we use SEO tactics on those 9 domains, can these domains be ranked high or will they be disqualified as well?

Please let me know if you need any other information, hopefully I explained it well enough for you guys to understand. I am quite new to SEO so please go easy on me & thanks in advance for the advice and help!

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,987 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:54 AM

It's web spam and you run the risk of all of the sites being penalized. 

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,625 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:09 AM

At best, if you don't get penalized (and Jill's right that it's quite possible you will), all but one of these sites are going to be completely ignored, which won't help you either.

For almost any search, Google knows that it would be a bad user experience for a searcher to get the kind of results you're hoping for.

#4 EagerToLearn

EagerToLearn

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:52 AM

Hi Jill & Qwerty,

Thank you very much for your quick responses and input. Obviously my idea is not a wise one looking at it now. What would both of you recommend to still obtain my original goal, of having the most amount of different domains on the top Google page. 

Would it be allowed/effective to have different domains with similar but different content? As in, the content will still be reflecting the same topic and keywords, but it will be brand new texts, brand new images, brand new pages, brand new code. 

Thank you again in advance for the help. One of our competitors has three different domains (all companies offering the same service, owned by the same company) ranked on the top page. Would love to be able rank above them. 

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,987 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:43 PM

What would both of you recommend to still obtain my original goal, of having the most amount of different domains on the top Google page. 

I would recommend that you stop being greedy and stop trying to spam Google. What good is it for Google or its users (searchers) to see the same things being offered in all 10 spots?

If your competitor is doing it, then report them via your Google Webmaster Tools account.

#6 EagerToLearn

EagerToLearn

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:11 PM

When you say "stop being greedy" i think you mean "stop trying to gain a competitive edge". This is the real world, not a middle school playground. Why would I, or any other business not try to dominate the top spots on search engines? There is nothing illegal or immoral about doing that, its what most people like to call "marketing". 

Welcome to a free enterprise, where competition is what drives the economy. Do you call Coca-Cola greedy for advertising in virtually every sports center in the country and world? Do you call McDonalds greedy for playing numerous commercials on most TV channels? 

Please don't go around and call people greedy for playing by the same rules as everybody else in a free enterprise. Thanks for your input though, i still highly appreciate it. 

#7 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,039 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:24 PM

Would it be allowed/effective to have different domains with similar but different content?

You are allowed to do absolutely anything you want with the content on your "Internet properities but if you want search engines to show your URLs and the respective content to their users you have to work to their guidelines.

Which boil down to, .... Create content FOR real users not search engines and promote it TO real users not search engines.

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,987 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:04 PM

@EagerToLearn you are of course free to run your business any way that you would like. But if you're looking for ways to spam Google, then you're at the wrong forum. 

#9 EagerToLearn

EagerToLearn

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 05:37 PM

@chrishirst, I appreciate the advice. I will be sure to do that, some of the domains will include different states, and i will make sure to create unique content for each one. 

What do you think about this. If each website has around five pages, one of them being a Apply Now page. If i use the same theme and design as our original website, but put brand new & unique content on 4/5 pages, and then on the 5th page which is the Apply Now page, simply redirect them to our main site. Would something like that sound like a good approach in your eyes? Thanks again. 

#10 chapulin

chapulin

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:14 PM

it's actually not even about 'being nice' or not. You shouldn't even attempt to do it simply because, if a competitor notices it (and they will, sooner or later), they'll report your sites to Google, and after Google researching the issue, all your sites will be penalized, as in, gone from the search results.

So, be it because you're nice, or because you want to keep your business showing in search results, don't try to outsmart Google.

Edited by chapulin, 14 August 2013 - 01:14 PM.

#11 rmorrow

rmorrow

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:22 PM

This is a tricky subject. There are both business and ethical decisions to make.

I understand your desire to one-up the competition and "take over" page one. However, I also understand Jill and her feeling that you are resorting to "web spam" in your attempt to do that.

What you need to understand, is that you don't need to fill in every spot of the SERP with a domain owned by you to accomplish your goal.

You only need to rise above the spot your competitor is in.

According to most studies I have seen (figures are approximate):

the #1 spot gets 33% of the clicks (185% of  #2)

the #2 spot gets 17%

the #3 spot gets 11%

and so on...

The position you are in is FAR more important than the # of positions you fill.  Equally important is what text is contained within that listing.  The #1 spot certainly makes me notice you, but you still have to make it interesting enough to get everyone to click through to your site.

But, back to your question.

What will get your site listed above all of the others? No tricks or gimmicks are required.

What Google wants is the same as what you need to offers visitors if you really want their business.

Good, informative, well-written information - and more of it than the other sites offer.

Put all your information into one, bigger site. Convince Google that your site is the most informative authority on everthing related to your industry.

Google doesn't care how big or small your company is or how many domains you own.

Google only cares about how much you know, and how much quality info you can deliver.

Both quantity and quality matter.  Own the #1 spot and you will reign supreme.

As an example, I worked for a client that sold swords and armor. I was amazed at how competitive that industry is. I had to figure out ways to increase the amount of content so I put my "Thinking Cap" on and speculated on what kind of people bought this stuff, and what other interests would they have.

We wrote content about the Three Musketeers for movie buffs, Renaissance Fashion for those that like attending Renaissance faires, and hundreds of other things that all related to his business.

The site went from nowhere in the SERPS to owning many #1 spots. Traffic went from 300 page views a month to 500,000 page views per month and stayed that way for yearts (until the owner closed the site for personal reasons).

Become the authority on your subject. Prove to Google and the world that you deserve the business and you will get it.  It's the kind of success that no Panda or Penquin will ever take away.

• Jill likes this

#12 EagerToLearn

EagerToLearn

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:23 PM

@rmorrow

Thank you for your response. I found it incredibly middle-grounded and helpful to both parties. I agree with mostly everything you said. 

Our company/website launched about 8 months ago. We most of the search terms we are ranked on the first page. On some of the search terms we are ranked in the top five. And on a couple of the most important search terms we are ranked #2 and #3. Keep in mind, some of the sites we are now ranked above have been around for ten to twenty years and are multi-million dollar companies. 

How did we get there? Mostly from posting active, accurate, and helpful content. We did purchase a few $5 Gigs on Fiverr to do back linking which seemed to help a lot for our company search term, but not as much as different keywords.

That being said. I definitely want to have different sites ranked on the first page, for a few reasons. The main one being we do business in different states. So if one of our sites is dedicated to NY content, I 

would assume it is more likely to be displayed when somebody searches keywords located in NY. And same for other states such as TX and CA. We want to give the appearance of a "local" company, and one of the best ways to do that is a specific site. Yes, we could do subdomains, but that would not allow us to dominant the first page. 

I really appreciate all of your posts. Some great feedback. 

#13 rmorrow

rmorrow

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:06 PM

I think I'll make "middle-grounded" my new goal in life.  So much more boring than what I'm usually referred to as.

I understand your situation a little better now, I think. If your problem is a simple one of being "local" then your solution is one way to go. I should tell you though that one site listing several locations you service would work as well.

If, however, you are dealing with areas that would use a localized search term (such as pop vs soda) and different ways of using or thinking about your product you could try your multi-site idea. Just make sure that the sites contain entirely original content from each other as well as from your competiton. Use the terms and train of thought specific to each region. 

If this is the case, you shouldn't be seeing multiple sites you own showing in the same SERPs. Just "local" sites showing for the "local" term.

"Cheap Purple People Eaters in Lower Manhattan" shouldn't show up when searching for "That Purple Whatsit that barfed up a leg in Arkansas".

#14 MilkMaid

MilkMaid

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:26 AM

Do you call Coca-Cola greedy for advertising in virtually every sports center in the country and world? Do you call McDonalds greedy for playing numerous commercials on most TV channels? 

If I could just touch on this analogy you made earlier. I see the point you're trying to make, but imagine that you walk into a sports centre and the only ads you see on the walls are Cola's? Or during a commercial break the only ads the channel played were non-stop McDonalds? An entire page of search results from the same website is just as undesirable and annoying from both the search engine and the searcher's point of view.

If you genuinely need different sites to deal with localised search issues, and you have both the time and resources to make each site's content truly unique and rank-worthy in its own right, go for it. Personally, I might be inclined to pour all my effort into the one site and reap the rewards of different areas of that site doing really well in SERPS for a variety of keywords.

My first time on the HR Forum - hope it helps! 

• qwerty likes this

#15 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:19 AM

Let's not forget (while we're talking about Coke & McDonald's ads) there's a big difference between paid advertising and the organic SERPs. Coke and McDonald's aren't "greedy" no matter how many ads they run, because they're paying money to run those ads.

There's nothing sneaky or underhanded about it. They don't have to pretend to be different businesses or reference different URLs in the ads. Heck, they don't even have to create different ads; they can just run the same one over and over if they want. If Coke wants to shut out Pepsi from a certain high-profile broadcast, all they have to do is ante up enough to be a "corporate sponsor," and the only cola ads you'll see during that event will be Coke's.

The organic SERPs belong to the search engines. They are listings created from databases that are maintained by the search engines, populated by data found by the search engine spiders, displayed in an order designated by algorithms developed and maintained by the search engines, all at considerable effort and expense to the search engines. We don't pay anything to the search engines for these listings.

As the owners of the SERPs, the search engines get to decide who and what gets listed where. And they have repeatedly said they want to display a variety of results in the listings, not just one company over and over. Violating their guidelines in an attempt to "take over" the SERPs can potentially get your company's website booted out entirely. Which makes it not only "greedy" and "not nice," it makes it a risky (and potentially counterproductive) business decision.

If one wants to "dominate" online, one can always take a page from the commercial advertiser playbook and run pay-per-click ads through Google and Bing, and/or pay individual websites to run ads.

My :02:

--Torka :propeller:

• chrishirst likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!