• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Google Authorship - Beneficial Or Detrimental

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ClickClick

ClickClick

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:39 AM

My content writing company have suggested I create a Google Authorship for my blog so that the pictures show up with the stories. I'm not too sure this is a good idea as I remember seeing posts in the Google listings with a picture by them and I'm not too sure if it encouraged me to go into those stories. I think that the stories could look a little unimportant compared to the other Google listings and worry that it could affect the click through rate negatively.

Has anybody had any experience with Google Authorship? Has it helped? Or has it reduced clicks?

On another note, does Google reward sites that have Google Authorship?

Thanks

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,627 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:37 AM

All of the data I've seen indicates that rich snippets, including the ones you get from the use of authorship markup, increase click through rates rather than decreasing them. I've seen a couple of stories claiming authorship markup led to a huge drop in traffic, but they didn't appear to be backed up by any evidence beyond correlation. (Then again, correlation is pretty much the only evidence offered by articles claiming CTR went up.)

I've only set up authorship for one writer on one site, and I don't work for that company anymore, but as far as I could tell while I was there, they got a small boost from it.

Whether there's a direct algorithmic advantage to this is questionable, but it makes sense that there will be at some point in the future. Google is becoming more interested in entities and their authority as opposed to strings of keywords, so if you can demonstrate that you're a particular person who's recognized and trusted by a particular readership, especially if that readership includes particular people who are themselves recognized and trusted in the same general field, there's every reason to believe that Google wants to be able to present you and your work to other people who are interested in that field.

Edited by qwerty, 09 August 2013 - 07:38 AM.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:18 AM

Here's 6 reasons why you need to use rel=author.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!