• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

1 Company, 100's Of Locations, Needs A Website For Each

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 VetoFunk

VetoFunk

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:04 PM

Hey Everyone,

A friend brought me in to help on a project for the company he works with. Basically this is a huge company with 1,000's of locations. They currently have all the local listings set up through Google, Bing etc, but they want to start ranking through natural search for more terms. Each location is going to have it's own website (3-5 pages) ran through one central CMS. Currently, no location has a website.

So my questions related to organic placement...

1) We don't want to run into duplicate content issues, so should we just have the homepage of each site be unique, and then have the contact and about us page noindex?

2) Will search engines have any issues with all the websites being hosted in one place?

3) Any other ideas on how to do this correctly?

Thanks!

Veto

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:49 AM

If we're only talking about 3-5 pages, I think some of the sites will be capable of making all of their pages unique. It's fine if some pages contain some amount of boilerplate text that's shared with others, as long as there's a chunk of unique content on them.

I'd suggest creating standard pages that could be used on every site and offering them to each, but stressing to them that they have a lot to gain from putting in a little effort and writing their own content instead. For those sites that choose to take the easy route and use the standard content, you probably don't need to noindex them. Assuming there's a main version of the page on the company's non-local site, use rel-canonical to have those pages declare the main site's page the standard one.

And I wouldn't worry about hosting. It's all one company. Why shouldn't all of their sites be hosted together? I used to work for a big, global company, with sites in some 20 or 30 different countries, most of them on ccTLDs. They were all run off servers here in Boston. True, it's a bit better from an SEO perspective to have a local IP address, so having a Boston IP for your Polish site isn't perfect, but we were on a .pl domain, the content was in Polish and about Poland. Google got the message just fine.

So how do you plan on working this? Is each little site getting its own root domain, or will they be subdomains (or subdirectories) of the company's main site?

#3 VetoFunk

VetoFunk

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:53 AM

They will each get their own domain.

BostonStore.com

ChicagoStore.com

etc...

Before we started on this project, I just wanted to make sure we were headed on the correct route for all locations. I appreciate your help!

Veto

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,011 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:24 AM

It's fine to do, but only if there's some real differentiation between each location. You're going to have to make the content unique to the location. I would suggest using subdomains and that you may only need one page for each unless the locations really do offer completely different products or services. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!