• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Slideshow Of Pages

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 itmaor

itmaor

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:51 AM

I want to create a slideshow of pages - each page features a review of a product with 'next' and 'prev' buttons to the next or previous product reviews. My question is what is the best way to go about it SEO-wise. There are a couple of alternatives:

1. All the products reviews are actually part of one webpage, navigation simply exposes different parts of the same page (i.e. no page reload when clicking prev/next).  

2. Each product review has its own page. The page reloads when you click next/prev.  

What is the best way to do this from an SEO perspective? I know, for example, that it's important that each page has a unique title, in both of the examples above the title stays the same - how come serious websites like the above don't care about that? Are there any other things to consider besides unique titles?

Thank you in advance,
Itay.

P.S. If this is not the right forum for this question - please let me know and I'll post it somewhere else.

Edited by Jill, 05 August 2013 - 01:19 PM.
Removed links

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,625 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:45 PM

Are these reviews short and closely related to each other, or are they the sort of articles that you wouldn't expect the average reader to necessarily read all in one visit? That also raises the question of what you hope to gain from doing this -- are you looking for more page views (and more ad impressions), or are you thinking this set up would be more attractive and/or convenient for your audience? Will there be a variety of paths to a given review, or will the user absolutely have to run through the previous reviews to reach a particular one?

I think the answers to those questions are going to influence the answers to your questions, but if you end up going with separate URLs, you should definitely give them each unique titles.

#3 itmaor

itmaor

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:22 PM

qwerty,

Thanks for the quick response!

There will not be a variety of paths to a given review. Users will have to run though the previous reviews (at least, this is the current thinking.. making a slideshow of pages, and not treating each page as an individual). Maybe (maybe!) we'll have kind of a table of contents for each category of products (ex: toys), so you'll be able to jump to the 5th product review (Toy #5) from the category intro page, but not from the homepage (in which you'll find the different categories: toys, books, cloths, etc...). In any case, product reviews are grouped in categories and cannot/should not be accessed individually from the outside. Does it make sense?

If so, are there disadvantages to using the first method described above (original post)? is the 2nd method preferable? any other things to consider?

Thanks,

Itay

#4 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:29 AM

As someone who occasionally looks for on-line product reviews, I must say that a slideshow model doesn't sound very appealing - especially if it involves stepping through a series of "slides" to reach the one I am interested in. I would much rather see some sort of drill-down - starting with your category list, and rapidly homing in on the review I am interested in.

Even if I can reach the specific review directly from a search or other navigation device, I wouldn't want the entire slow show to have to load, given that I am only interested in a single review.

I don't know how typical my views are for you target audience. If they are, then a slide show might not be a good choice.

Mike

#5 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,625 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:02 AM

I've noticed that sites like CNET will have slideshows containing capsule reviews of a pretty specific set -- not just tech items, but gadgets for dorm rooms or something like that. And those capsule reviews tend to link to longer reviews that get their own permanent page.

In that context, the slideshow just serves as an introduction, allowing the reader to see a group of articles based on the idea that if they're interested in one, they may well be interested in many or even all of them, but the important point is that the real review is located elsewhere, and I'm sure those real reviews can be accessed from elsewhere.

#6 itmaor

itmaor

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:24 AM

So my idea is closer to what qwerty describes. But regardless of how appealing or convenient it is (bear with me and assume it does make sense in the specific context of my website) - can you address the original questions and tell me which method of implementing this is better from an SEO perspective? Multiple pages ? one page that doesn't need to reload (just show/hide/scroll different sections/divs)? what aspects should I consider besides different title for different pages?

Thank you!

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,987 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:01 PM

Without much to go on, I'd say that your best bet is this:

2. Each product review has its own page. The page reloads when you click next/prev.  

Although, I'd want to see other ways of getting to the additional reviews than next/prev. Will you have some sort of browsable menu or directory as well?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!