• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Content Curation Will Help In Seo?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mansipadhya

mansipadhya

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:57 PM

We have online magazine websites, we publish daily news story on the website, some of are original articles or some of are flagship of the main website. We are planning to implement content curation strategy across the website.

My question is what are the ways or tips to use content curation technique? which won't hurt in SEO & win the SEO battle through Content Curation.   

Anybody has great recent example of hosting curated content?

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,771 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:13 AM

Oh please! "Content Curation" is simply a euphemism for re-publishing content. The "experts" may try to dress it up with some snappy buzz phrase like it is some new "magic trick" for search success. But it's just the same old crap in a new hat and frock.

Open your eyes [and your minds] and take a look behind the dressing up to what is REALLY going off!

#3 lesterj1

lesterj1

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:25 PM

While most content curation sites tend to be spammy with no real value, I wouldn't say that all content curation sites are automatically spammy.  For example, DrudgeReport.com is a content curation site and is one of the most popular news sites online.  A study even showed that Drudge drives more traffic to most news sites than social media.  TheBlaze.com is another example of a popular content curation site, though they also include their own, original content as well.

That said, if the intent of your content curation sites is simply for SEO purposes, then it sounds like you're planning to spam.  If you really want to create curation sites for the value they can offer, then your first focus needs to be on value to your visitors.

Don't steal the content of sources you are curating.  The way I see it you have 3 options, 1, just link to the source with a headline.  2. Write up a brief summary of the source and link to the source.  3. Write a response post to the source, being sure to link to the source and give them proper attribution.  I'd also highly recommend writing your own, purely original articles as well.

As for the SEO side of things, you'll want to make sure you aren't duplicating anyone's content (headlines or article bodies) and then properly optimize the posts.

• mansipadhya likes this

#4 mansipadhya

mansipadhya

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:10 PM

Yes, we never intent to using this strategy simply for SEO purposes or first page results. But as a business strategy or module our company thinking to use them. But as we are also focusing SEO so we need to take care from that area.

If I refer article which was published on Forbs in 2011, they are very much in fever of content curation technique from an SEO perspective.  forbes.com/sites/ciocentral/2011/10/31/winning-the-seo-battle-through-content-curation/

#5 lesterj1

lesterj1

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:28 PM

Keep in mind that the post you referenced was a guest blog post from a guy who sells content curation software (just a little biased I'd say).

Content curation done right is fine.  As I said, as long as you put the visitors first and provide something of actual value, then it's fine.  As for the SEO, if you follow the things I mentioned before (original text, good on-page SEO), you should be fine.  One thing I'd add is to make your curation content easily sharable on social media.

Removed

Edited by chrishirst, 05 August 2013 - 05:34 PM.

#6 mansipadhya

mansipadhya

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:06 PM

In your second option " 2. Write up a brief summary of the source and link to the source." do we need to write unique words of summary on our website or we can grab 80/90 words of summary from same source of post?

I have seen on many good content curation site, generally they don't write unique content, display first paragraph (identical from source) & then link to the source. 

Do you know any source which curate content with unique words of annotation? 

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,911 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:16 PM

do we need to write unique words of summary on our website or we can grab 80/90 words of summary from same source of post?

If you don't write up your own summary, then how will you be any different then all the others that just use the snippet?

• lesterj1 likes this

#8 mansipadhya

mansipadhya

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:30 PM

Is there any impact on SEO if we do not write unique snippet on our website? All social media website (reddit, slashdot etc) is like content curation site, they display same snippet from our post & then link back to us.

Edited by Jill, 08 August 2013 - 06:18 AM.
Removed link

#9 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,584 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:13 AM

But those sites you mention aren't relying on SEO for their traffic. Don't make the mistake of looking at someone with a totally different business model from yours and thinking you can be successful simply copying what they do.

You seem to keep coming back and asking the same question in different ways, hoping we're going to switch our answer to say you can take the easy way out. It doesn't work that way, at least not around here. :no: You're asking about the SEO impact of your cut-and-paste "strategy" and we've answered: you need original content if you want the maximum SEO benefit.

One of my favorite sayings is this: "There's fast, there's cheap and there's good. You only get to choose two." Taking the quick an easy way out will not get you the good results you want.

My :02:

--Torka :propeller:

• mansipadhya likes this

#10 mansipadhya

mansipadhya

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:31 AM

Hi Vintage Babe, is not like that I am asking same question in different ways. I trust on this forum & I want to know the satisfied answer. Also I cant ignore other so many website on the internet that using this type of strategy, so in that concern I wanted to know the reason.

Thanks, very much.  

#11 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,911 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:44 AM

Also I cant ignore other so many website on the internet that using this type of strategy

We can only provide our advice. But what we say may or not work as we say in practice. So if you want to make a site like those others, go right ahead and give it a try. It might work out fine with search engines or it might not. But the only way to know for sure is to try it and see. All the forum threads in the world can't answer you with 100% certainty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!