• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Shutting Down One Website, Starting Another. Blog Posts

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 rgwhitaker

rgwhitaker

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:45 AM

Here's my situation:

I have a website that I'm going to be shutting down within the next few days.

I'm then going to be starting a completely new website (ie, completely new domain name).

I want to take some of the blog posts that existed on the first website and post them onto my new website when it's up and running.

Will search engines look at that as duplicate content? Do blog posts on deleted websites remain in the web's cache for a period of time?

What would be the best way to approach this?

Thank you in advance.

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,641 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:59 AM

You will have moved the posts from their old URLs to new ones. That's not only not duplicate content, but it's the perfect use for a 301 redirect. If you keep the hosting in effect for the old site after you've shut it down, you can send anyone who requests one of these old blog posts to its new URL, so no loss of search traffic or link equity.

#3 rgwhitaker

rgwhitaker

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:00 PM

Thanks.

So, just so I understand, I would need to keep the old site live?

#4 imexperttools

imexperttools

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:16 PM

But if you do not plan to keep the hosting in effect after you shut down the site then my best advice is that you should not bring any of the old content to your new site because they are still being stored in the Google index and thus would cause duplication issue.

If you shutdown your website and report it in Google Webmaster tool, the search engine might notice that sooner and the old content might be de-indexed sooner. From what i observed when i moved my websites a few months ago, the old content might take from 1 to 3 month to be completely de-indexed by Google.

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,226 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:37 AM

my best advice is that you should not bring any of the old content to your new site because they are still being stored in the Google index and thus would cause duplication issue.

Very poor 'advice', If the content has MOVED from URL 'A' to URL 'B' HOW on earth can it be duplicated?????????

Thanks.

As long as the 'old' domain name points to the 'new' location and redirects are in place on the 'new' server no you don't.

#6 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,641 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:44 AM

I agree with Chris. A 301 will send the clearest signal: that the content has been permanently moved to a new URL. On top of that, if there are links to the old URLs, the 301 will preserve the equity, giving the new site a boost. If you don't want to pay to keep the hosting in place on the old domain -- even just for a few months, which would at least let search engines know the content has moved -- then shutting down the old site will cause bots to receive 404 responses when they check up on the old content. Even if they don't check right away, they'll check, and they'll get the idea.

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,062 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:57 AM

No, the exact opposite. You simply 301 redirect it to the new one. No dupe content.

#8 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,668 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:39 AM

Just to clarify: what they're saying is you need to keep the old domain live. (As opposed to the entire old site.) If your current hosting account allows you to host more than one domain on the same account (many do) then you just make sure the old domain points to your hosting account. You'd want to route it to a different physical directory on your server, then all you need is an .htaccess file in that physical folder that will point the old domain URLs to the appropriate new URLs on the new domain. You don't need to actually maintain the old site itself. Just keep the domain name active so the 301 redirects will work.

(If, on the other hand, your host only allows one domain per account, you might want to consider moving to another host. There are quite a few good-to-excellent hosting companies out there that allow you to host more than one domain on a single account.)

--Torka :propeller:

#9 rgwhitaker

rgwhitaker

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:02 PM

Thanks for all the posts. This can get confusing!

I think what I'll do, according to TORKA and others, is keep the old domain live, but shut down the site. Then in the old domain's .htaccess file, simply do 301 redirects for the blog posts that I'll be moving over to the new domain and website.

(DId I get it right?)

Thanks again!

#10 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,668 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:39 AM

Bingo! :)

--Torka :propeller:

#11 TinaScatte

TinaScatte

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:56 AM

Hey!!! For my introduction Im a newbie developer and just recently designed a single page website for my project but now I found a contract to develop a website like blogger sites and there are some old blog posts my client want to move on his new site I like your suggestion to use 301 Direction but I dont know much about it So if you can guide me about this one I will be thankful.

#12 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,226 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:59 AM

http://www.highranki...ss-mod-rewrite/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the