• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Top Citation Source Website Types

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sergiuliano

sergiuliano

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:14 AM

Hi,

I would need your help to arrange a TOP with the most important website types where Local Citations can be built.

I have identified the following types and created a TOP the way they were listed on Google when running the reverse engineering algorithm for discovering the Citation Sources:

1) Local Individual Industry Business Directories ( nysba . org )
2) Local Generic Business Directories ( ex locchicago . com ) 
3) Generic Business Directories ( as Yelp, WhitePages, Yahoo local, Forsquare )
4) Generic Individual Industry Business Directories ( tripadvisor, lawyer-map . com )
5) Company Directories ( ex bbb.org )
6) Video/Image Sharing Platforms ( YouTube, Vimeo etc )
7) Social Media Platforms ( Facebook )
8) Reverse Phone Number Lookup ( phoneauditor . net, whycall . me )
9) Forums / Blogs / News ( PrWebs etc )
10) Whois / SeoRank ( godaddy whois, woorank etc )
11) Local Deals ( GroupOn etc )

For building this TOP I have analyzed high CPC keywords on different industries by running Google search queries with Local IP addresses in order to get 100% accurate results

I have used on each report implicit keywords like "law office", "pizza delivery", "car rentals" and no explicit keywords like "law office miami", "pizza delivery chicago" etc. This is a very important step as it seems that most of the other researches were built on "explicit keywords" only

The results I got are different than the ones listed on

getlisted.org/static/resources/local-citations-by-category.html

which probably used a more generic approach and probably the reports were generated on explicit keywords. This should be the reason why they rank on 1st position the Generic Business Directories which is only on position 3 on my report.

What is your opinion? Which Citation Source Type has the highest Local SEO Authority?

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,101 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:37 AM

What is your opinion? Which Citation Source Type has the highest Local SEO Authority?

My opinion? That you are way, WAY, WAY over-thinking the whole thing!

#3 sergiuliano

sergiuliano

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:42 AM

good point, can you please add some arguments to your answer? I am really looking to improve the TOP above.

The general impression is that "citation sources" = "generic directories" for Local SEO, but the results I got in my results was different.

When running the analysis for "mesothelioma lawyer" ( with the CPC over 150 usd ) I have seen that top ranking local websites are not registered to Yelp or Yellow pages but to the Local Lawyer Bar websites, which seems to be a much important citation source than the well-known generic directories.

Interesting is that some times those websites are ranking on TOP position with only a good Local SEO strategy onsite/offsite and only few backlinks for such good keyword, followed by other websites with hundred of thosands  of backlinks.

Edited by sergiuliano, 03 August 2013 - 07:53 AM.

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,101 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:46 PM

reverse engineering algorithm for discovering the Citation Sources:

Would this particular 'algorithm' come from SEOMoz by any chance??

#5 sergiuliano

sergiuliano

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:14 PM

@chrishirst

I have created this reverse engineering algorithm. Is not something difficult, but there are few important steps which you have to follow.

Here is how it works:

Local SEO Reverse Engineering Algorithm for finding Local Citation Sources

I will identify citations sources for a "dental clinic" webpage. You can choose any other industry / keyword you like.

Very important! Do NOT include Location Name in the searches keyword ( do not use "dental clinic Dallas" ) , otherwise the Algorithm will not work, because you will get same results when searching from different locations.

Steps to follow:

1) Check which are the TOP Ranking websites in the targeted Locations ( by changing Search Location on Google ) for the targeted Keyword.

It is very important to run the searches by changing the location, otherwise the results will be 100% wrong. Never search for keywords with location included as "Dental Clinic Miami" - you'll get nothing more than a public citations list known by anyone else.

Here are the screenshots on Dallas and San Francisco:

683d1368451073-how-find-citation-sources

2) Choose the websites which are ranking in one location only, in order to be sure they are optimized for that location only.

I will start on Dallas with communitydentalcare . org as it is the first which ranks in Dallas only.

Identify all other websites in both locations which ranks Locally.

3) Identify the NAP for the TOP Ranking Local Webistes and Run the next Google Custom Query for each location andcheck google TOP 100 results:

"phone number" "address" -site:domainname.com

ex: 

"(214) 630-7080" "1420 West Mockingbird Lane" Dallas -site:communitydentalcare.org

Identify the NAP and run the custom google query for all the other websites ranking locally.

The Result: 

Best Location Sources for "Dental Clinic" for the targeted location

684d1368451347-how-find-citation-sources

Repeat the process from time to time as New Citation Sources might win more Local SEO authority on the targeted Locations!

4) Use an XLS file and save citation sources in a different column for each location. ( Remove Duplicates )

685d1368451605-how-find-citation-sources

*note that the citation source list is much longer 

You can easily compare the columns and see how different and the results between different locations. 

TOP URLs are the MOST IMPORTANT ones on the targeted keywords and locations.

In the list are Citation Sources you have never heard of, some of them very important!

Oupss - Yelp com is on the last position in the citations list in San Francisco only ... so it is not so important as many of us were thinking. This is not what I am saying, but this is what Google Results shows.

Conclusion:

There is not such thing as Best Generic Citations Source List

Citation Sources are different based on Industry and Location, so if you want to Rank on TOP Google results just repeat the algorithm for different keywords.

Generic Directories are not the only citation sources available! Try to identify Local Websites related to your industry in order to get high quality citations.

My Suggestion:

In Local SEO there is not a generic approach available for all industries and locations. Best is to learn from the TOP Ranking Webistes in the targeted locations by running Local SEO Reverse Engineering Algorithms.

You can each run this algorithm Step by Step or use GeoRanker Local Citation Source Finder Tool which will build such a report in seconds.

# end of the reverse engineering algorithm 

So, now that I have explained how I got the results, what is your opinion related to the Citation Sources Website Type TOP ?

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,101 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:43 AM

Still the same. ....

A completely pointless waste of time.

#7 sergiuliano

sergiuliano

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:56 AM

Using citation sources reports generated with this algorithm for the OffSite strategy I was able to get excellent results and was able to rank on TOP 5 in google between 1-3 weeks for high competition keywords...

I am looking for feedback from other forum members who had run similar campaigns and which can come with arguments for their answers.

Edited by sergiuliano, 04 August 2013 - 06:58 AM.

#8 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,101 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:53 AM

was able to get excellent results and was able to rank on TOP 5 in google between 1-3 weeks for high competition keywords..

And how long did that last?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!