• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Duplicate Content Issues!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 n5anf

n5anf

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:51 AM

Hi,

This is a very strange problem I am having.

I will briefly give an overview of the website structure

We have two website, built using share point. Basically, what this means is both websites are actually one.

If you call website A in your browser, it contains exactly the same content as website B, however the only thing which changes is the stylesheet. We need it this way for brand reasons.

Website A is a stronger brand then website B, so any content we are posting, website A is being ranked and shown in the search results. We need to rank well for certain content on website B, but because website A is stronger we are having issues.

Website B is on a subdomain of website A - not sure if that makes a difference. 

The problem could be solved with a canonical tag although we have a dev cue of around 1 year at the moment so that is not something we can do. Also, you cannot just redirect website A page to website B, as they are the same page in reality and would get stuck in a loop.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:47 AM

The only thing to do is not have the same content on both sites. Just link to one from the other. 

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:34 AM

You could use rel-canonical to indicate which page in a given pair is the one you consider more important, but if you have to wait a year to get that done, I suppose you could just start building links to the preferred pages. However, that's bound to be a lot more work than just adding rel-canonical, and the likelihood of success is lower (unless you're really good at building links to deep pages in the current environment).

I can understand why you'd have to have the same content on the two sites. My company has subdomains for partners that are copies of our www site, but with different branding and formatting. I'm in the process of getting rel-canonical in place now, because when you search our company name in Google, you get sitelinks that include two pages from one of the subdomains even though I've requested via Webmaster Tools that this not happen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!