• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

301 Redirect Question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PeterDillon

PeterDillon

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:21 PM

Hello

I'm having an ongoing (Friendly) debate between myself (I do SEO) and a WP developer.  The client has a site built in DW, .html extensions. He's moving it to WP.   We're going to 301 all the old pages to the new corresponding pages.  Not a prob, done it over 1000 times. 

The question is his backlinks.   He's has over 3000 of them.  Some are bogus, coming from another site of his (not related in topic) so I really don't care about that especially since they're 404 pages. 

The question is.... will the backlink "juice" be redirected as well?  I don't think it will, the WP developer thinks it will.  Old school was to contact the Webmaster of each site and ask for an update but we all know how successful that is.  Does this scenario make sense and does anyone have any comments/thoughts as to how to make sure his backlinks still provide him with what they were meant to do?  

One tool, and I used several (one a paid very popular tool from one of the top 10 seo's imo), says we have about 48 backlinks from high authority sites... one is an EDU along with several big publications.  I'd hate to loose those.

Ideas? Thoughts? Suggestions.

Peter

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:19 AM

Yes the back links will still count. 

#3 PeterDillon

PeterDillon

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:54 AM

I think I miss worded my question, my bad. We've updated many sites, changed them to WP using the 301 redirects and recaptured rankings in a few weeks, no problem.

Our question is the backlinks to the old site. My thought is that, the "juice" won't be passed. We'd have to "old school" it and contact Webmasters in the hopes they'd update the link which we all know is not that successful. I'm guilty of it myself.

Would you concur on the "non passing" of the "juice" from the old to the new site? I don't think it's carried along with the 301 baggage.
Thanks! PRD

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:47 PM

As I already said, if you redirected the old site to the new then the 301's will pass the link juice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!