• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Key Words In Url - Help Me Pick The Order For Best Ranking Please!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jules

jules

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:39 AM

Hello SEO peeps!  :victory:

So which URL is better if I want to rank for the event name "Art in the Park Columbia MO"...

(*Am I correct to say the most important key word should be closest to the front of the URL?  And to make the search engines interested in out content, I could rearrange the key words in the title tag so it could rank in other ways...? *)

#1  example.com/11424/Art-in-the-Park/Fine-Art-and-Craft-Shows/Columbia-Missouri

#2  example.com/11424/Columbia-Missouri/Art-in-the-Park/Fine-Art-and-Craft-Shows

#3   example.com/11424/Art-in-the-Park/Columbia-Missouri/Fine-Art-and-Craft-Shows

#4   example.com/11424/Columbia-Missouri/Fine-Art-and-Craft-Shows/Art-in-the-Park

PS the # has to be in there for some reason my tech guy told me, it's associated with the event's # in our database - and I think it has to be in the front but I'm double checking...

PSS puttng the event type in there is an effort to also rank for 'fine art shows  columbia mo" etc...

Cheers! :cowgirl:

#2 copywriter

copywriter

HR 7

• 1,856 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:52 AM

(*Am I correct to say the most important key word should be closest to the front of the URL?  And to make the search engines interested in out content, I could rearrange the key words in the title tag so it could rank in other ways...? *)

No, not correct. Some people recommend putting the keywords at the front of the title tag, but I've never seen any real evidence that it helped at all.

As for the URL, I think you're of the opinion that the URL holds more weight with G than it actually does. While having the keywords in the URL is fine (except for the exact-match domain penalty/filter Google implemented) you'd do better to pay attention to keywords in your copy, IMO.

• Jill likes this

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:35 PM

I think having keywords in the URL is helpful, even if only because it's another signal for people to see when the page appears on a SERP, and it means that when people link to your page with just the URL, you've got keywords in your anchor text without having to beg for it.

Does it help with rankings? Maybe, but probably not much.

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,112 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:03 PM

All of them;

Any of them;

None of them;

That's how 'important' it is.

• Jill likes this

#5 LadynRed

LadynRed

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:54 AM

So, basically it's not important at all Chris ? :)

I've had a similar disagreement with our in-house so-called 'seo expert' :rolleyes:.. he insists that we have to have url-rewrites (we use a java-based CMS) for all of our pages to include his specific keywords. So what you're saying here is that all that means nothing and we're wasting our time, at least partially. We do need the url rewrites to get rid of the obtuse nonsense urls created by the CMS, but forcing in his keywords isn't of any real benefit?

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,012 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:28 AM

What qwerty said above. 

#7 LadynRed

LadynRed

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip