• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Duplicate Content Issue - Single Article Into Many Categories

Best Answer Jill , 23 July 2013 - 09:01 PM

See the "Categorization Gone Crazy" section of my duplicate content article for more info. 

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tushar69

tushar69

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:28 PM

Hi,

I know that duplicate content issues are one of the biggest things that SEO's need to care about. This is why, one simple question is making me crazy everytime I think about it. Below is my problem and I need an honest solution for it.

Suppose, my site is on "hair care" & I have 5 categories

1. black hair
  2. curly hair
  3. long hair
  4. white hair
  5. straight hair

Now, I have written an article about "hair care tips" where I paid attention to "black hair", "long hair" & "straight hair". My question is which category should I choose for the article? Can I go for all three categories that I paid attention to (this may cause a duplicate content issue), OR only one category for every single article?

I am really depressed about this matter. Which ONE should I choose?

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:37 AM

Put it in whatever single category you prefer, but create links to it from articles in the other categories. No duplicate content, no problem (although duplicate content isn't as big a problem as you seem to think it is).

#3 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,103 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:17 PM

"Duplicate" content isn't what you think it is.

It does NOT mean one article in several "categories", it means one ONE HTML document that is accessible from several UNIQUE URIs.

If whatever you use to serve the website only produces a SINGLE URL that every 'category' points to, it matters not whether it is in one, five or five hundred categories.

Edited by chrishirst, 23 July 2013 - 05:17 PM.

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:19 PM

Yeah, it depends on the CMS. If putting it in a category creates a URL (e.g. site.com/category/post-title), then multiple categories = multiple pages. If it's WordPress, odds are putting it in multiple categories just means it will show up on the archive pages for each of those categories, which isn't an issue (unless every article gets posted to all the same categories, making each archive page identical).

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:01 PM   Best Answer

See the "Categorization Gone Crazy" section of my duplicate content article for more info. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!