• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Picking Up Long-Tail Searches With Short Key Words

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SamSmith

SamSmith

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:50 AM

I'm in the process of hiring a SEO/Web Architect  for a new web site design.  One of the vendors comes recommended from small business owner that uses them for local B2C lead generation.   We use the web for lead generation, B2B, selling into USA and Canada.

This vendor seemed knowledgeable, came recommended, set expectations of 6-9 months, but I heard a couple new things that set off red flags that I wanted to get feedback on.

1)  The vendor said if you are optimized for a keyword like "sales training" you'll also be optimized for longer keywords that include "sales training" like 'sales training courses' or 'sales training seminars' or 'sales training programs online'.  Is that correct?  (These are examples keywords not used in our business.)

2)  They have created their own proprietary content management software (CMS) that makes it easy to continually add fresh content.  There is no fee for it, it is mine to use and host anywhere.  It just seemed unusual that they have their own CMS with so many available for little or no fee.  From a SEO perspective, would it be better to use a lesser known CMS?  Should I be concerned they use their own CMS?

Thanks so much for your suggestions and advice.  It is greatly appreciated.  

I've lurked in this forum for years so I am very excited to finally have a plan and direction for SEO for my business.  (I wish I would have done it years ago!)

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,934 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:23 PM

They have created their own proprietary content management software (CMS) that makes it easy to continually add fresh content.

Not that continually adding 'fresh' content makes a whole lot of difference. 

he vendor said if you are optimized for a keyword like "sales training" you'll also be optimized for longer keywords that include "sales training" like 'sales training courses' or 'sales training seminars' or 'sales training programs online'.  Is that correct?

Only if those words and phrases actually appear in your content.

Should I be concerned they use their own CMS?

For support, updates and system security probably.

From a SEO perspective, would it be better to use a lesser known CMS?

It does not matter in the slightest, so long as you can edit the things that really matter.

#3 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

They have created their own proprietary content management software (CMS) that makes it easy to continually add fresh content.

This also locks you into their system; if you decide to sever relationships down the road for whatever reason you may need to address access issues and possibly having to convert out, again. That is one reason for going with either an open source product or licensed product where you can obtain support, updates etc. and you're not locked into the tool plus the service. Read the fine print.

Edited by bobmeetin, 19 July 2013 - 11:28 AM.

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,934 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:56 AM

This also locks you into their system; if you decide to sever relationships down the road for whatever reason you may need to address access issues and possibly having to convert out, again. .

Ermmmm????

May I draw your attention to the bit in bold below?

2)  They have created their own proprietary content management software (CMS) that makes it easy to continually add fresh content.  There is no fee for it, it is mine to use and host anywhere.  It just seemed unusual that they have their own CMS with so many available for little or no fee.  From a SEO perspective, would it be better to use a lesser known CMS?  Should I be concerned they use their own CMS?

#5 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:02 PM

My apologies - my eyes and attention span frequently slither off into the sunset and don't live well below the fold.

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,934 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:15 PM

Yes I know the feeling well.

http://pixelpost.ad-...php?showimage=4

#7 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:00 AM

Live the Dream :)

#8 SamSmith

SamSmith

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:30 AM

Thanks so much for your help.  I should probably listen to my gut, which is saying go with another vendor.  I'll also talk to the guy that referred me and ask him a few more detailed questions.  Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!