• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Forward Penguinized Domain To New Domain

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 suzstephens

suzstephens

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:50 PM

If you have a domain that's been hurt badly by Penguin, is it safe to change to a new domain, then forward the old domain to the new domain? 

My design client has his old domain on stationery and an expensive vehicle wrap, so he's not too keen on changing. One of the new SEO guys to whom he has been talking says that's a bad idea. He wrote, "Re-directing it is not a good idea currently, as Google is currently blocking those."

True?

#2 suzstephens

suzstephens

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:29 PM

Since writing this question, I've Googled around and found that 301 redirects don't work because they pass the toxic link juice. So that makes me wonder, what about using a 302 redirect instead?

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:43 AM

With a 302, you probably won't pass anything, good or bad, but real people following links to the old site will at least get to the new one.

If you're sure links are the issue, you might be able to save the original domain and some of its link authority by removing or disavowing the worst of the links and developing some new ones of higher quality.

#4 suzstephens

suzstephens

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:28 AM

Thanks query, good to know that a 302 might be a way to avoid some of the cost of changing his domain in print materials.

As a temporary "fix" while the client looks for a new SEO, I disavowed hundreds of low quality links earlier this week. Probably too soon to determine whether it's working, but so far ranking for several keyphrases has continued to go down.

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:20 PM

You need to send in a reinclusion request once you've disavowed all the links, otherwise it's unlikely you'll see results. 

#6 suzstephens

suzstephens

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:35 PM

Thank you Jill. Since my client is in process of hiring a new SEO, I'll probably just wait and let the new person file a reinclusion request since he or she is more likely to know more about doing this than I do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.