• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Title Tag Questions

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 KarenC

KarenC

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:44 AM

We have a client that has three locations and want all three location in the title tags. Knowing that the usual character limit for title tags is usually 66 - 70:

1. If a title tag runs longer than that is the page/site penalized?
  2. If a searcher searches for a term that is in the title tag but that term is past the ending for character limit, would the site show up in the search results? For example:
    Pain Management | Ficticous Pain Management Facility Name | Dallas, Austin & Houston, TX
    is 88 characters long. Would searches for "pain management Austin" or "pain management Houston" potentially show up in searches since those are past the cutoff for the title tag?

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,961 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:51 AM

There is no Title tag limit of characters. That's just a myth. Please see our Title tag article.

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,619 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:08 PM

There's certainly no penalty for having a long title, but keep in mind that it won't all display in a SERP if it's long. It's also generally accepted that words carry more weight when they're closer to the beginning of the tag. And of course, an exact phrase is likely to rank better than just the presence of the words from the phrase, so in your example, you may well rank for [pain management houston], but all other things being equal (which doesn't happen, but has to be said anyway), a page with a title of "Pain Management Houston" would probably outrank you.

Also keep in mind that Google has taken to rewriting page titles when they determine that a page is relevant to a query, but its actual title doesn't do a sufficient job of expressing that relevance. This might actually work to your advantage, as your page with a title of Pain Management | Ficticious Pain Management Facility Name | Dallas, Austin & Houston, TX might show up on the SERP for the query [pain management houston] with an apparent title of something like Facility Name - Pain Management Houston. That's not going to affect whatever ranking weight your real title is giving you, but it could give you a better clickthrough rate than you would have had with your actual title being displayed, but cut off well before the word "Houston" would have appeared.

#4 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:45 AM

incidentally - fictitious not ficticious

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,934 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:59 AM

And you gals and guys think I'm pedantic :) :)

#6 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:18 AM

Oh gosh. https://www.google.c...=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Not necessarily Chris, but maybe.  You're certainly not totally transparent, but your choice in footwear is.

Yes I've heard the google rewriting title tag rumor and I've seen that big G offers interpretive spelling but why leave it up to chance?

Edited by bobmeetin, 13 July 2013 - 08:19 AM.

#7 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,619 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:16 PM

For what it's worth...

1. When I pasted the title into my post, I fixed the spelling error (and created a different spelling error in the process).
  2. I'm guessing the actual name of the business in question is neither Ficticous Pain Management Facility Name, Ficticious Pain Management Facility Name nor Fictitious Pain Management Facility Name, but you never know :)

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,961 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:18 PM

Offtopic
If so, it only pretends to manage your pain!

#9 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,618 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:07 AM

Or it helps you manage pain that's all in your imagination... ;)

--Torka :propeller:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!