• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Any Benefit/penalty For Cross Linking Different Pages On Same Site?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Radify

Radify

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:25 PM

I didn't see this exact scenario anywhere in forum...

Here is client's request:
    1 Bottom of home page, put link to "additional articles"
    2 "More Info" page has links to 25-50 more pages of new content
    3 At bottom of each new content page add link to existing page (of related content) already on site

So the question is, is there any SEO benefit (or potential harm) for linking related "old" content page on bottom of "new" content page, all within same website?

Thanks!

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:12 AM

See "sneaky footer links" http://www.highranki...ooter-links-349

#3 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:25 AM

That's a good- looking foot, Jill, but other than as a warning, does what Radify is suggesting here qualify as sneaky or spammy?  It is not uncommon to have a sitemap somewhere on a medium to large map to augment navigation, improve accessibility to perhaps older, archived pages.  I commonly jump straight to the footer for contact information which is all too often buried, maybe for a reason.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:58 AM

Without seeing it, it's hard to say. Depends on the motivation for doing it, how far down the page it is, what pages they're linking to, etc. 

If the links are important, they should generally be in the global top navigation.

#5 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:16 PM

If the links are important, they should generally be in the global top navigation.

Of course. However it's been a common practice for years to repeat one, perhaps several important links in the footer navigation/menu. I commonly repeat home, contact(!!!), maybe profile links, and maybe maybe something like latest news. "Not done in a spammy way, but to ensure that the visitor can find the most critical items." I seem to have a fetish for Contact info and phone numbers...

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:49 PM

Pretty sure my article mentioned that I was not talking about links that were duplicated in both the main nav and the footer.

And my impression from the OP's post is that they were talking about different links, not ones already linked to. Which IS what my article was talking about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!