• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Redirect? Duplicate Content? Google Not Indexing Site

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tmccoy

tmccoy

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:16 AM

I've been working on optimizing the content on a site since March 1st and having issues with Google indexing pages. Currently,Google Webmaster Tools is showing nearly 200 page sitemaps indexed but, only 7 pages are indexed. I'm relatively new to SEO (started about a year ago) and I've mostly only worked with the content, so I'm at a loss on what to do. Here's the scoop...

The site has been through a few changes in multiple stages since late February. First, a wordpress blog was added to a new domain and redirected to a blog page within the html site. I blogged 3x per week for first month, and no significant increase in web traffic, pages indexed, nothing. 

Next, they switched the entire html site to wordpress in May. Since then there has been a significant increase in traffic but, still only 7 pages have been indexed. 

I'm convinced that there is something going on with the redirects, old site maps, or something that is not allowing Google to index these pages. 

I don't handle the "technical" side of the site maintenance and the person that does is clueless about SEO... any advice on things I could check, troubleshoot, etc is much appreciated!! 

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,602 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:33 AM

Are the sitemaps accurate -- is Webmaster Tools reporting any issues with them? Keep in mind that XML sitemaps can be helpful, but really shouldn't be necessary. Your internal linking should be sufficient to let Googlebot discover all of your content and understand which pages are more important.

What about this redirected blog? Have you physically moved its content to the main site at this point, or are you still publishing to the blog's domain and having that redirect to the main one? And are you sure those redirects are returning a correct 301 response?

Have you tried crawling the site using Xenu or Screaming Frog? That should help you find out if there are orphaned pages, bad links, redirects that aren't coded properly, etc.

But it could come down to something as simple as Google not seeing a reason to index more than a handful of pages. Is the content you're creating original and interesting? Are people linking to it -- even just a few?

#3 tmccoy

tmccoy

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:55 AM

Thank you for your advice and suggestions!! 

As of 2 days ago the person handling the site removed the html site maps and set Webmaster tools to no "www", since we're now using WordPress. As of now there are no errors in Webmaster tools. 

I'm not sure if [the site] (the original domain used for the WP blog) is redirecting or not. You can see everything there but, the url stays the same. 

I just activated seomoz on this account, it showed several rel=canonical and duplicate page issues with the old html pages. Since he has removed those now I'm hoping that will fix that issue. 

I've only been involved with projects from the start and it's never taken this long to get pages indexed. 

Edited by Jill, 10 July 2013 - 10:27 AM.
Removed website as per forum rules.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,911 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:29 AM

You can see everything there but, the url stays the same. 

Then it's not redirecting. Use the Tools Qwerty mentioned above. Also you can check out redirects via Rex Swain's HTTP Viewer.

#5 tmccoy

tmccoy

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:36 AM

I've downloaded my full report from SeoMoz, which is basically the same as ScreamingFrog. There are some missing tags but, nothing too serious from what I can tell. Again, this is not my speciality at all. I'm learning as I go here. 

Should I have the domain redirect? It was only up for 2 months before we rebuilt in wordpress. Or should I just take the domain down... we're not using it on any marketing or anything. He originally purchased just to host our wordpress on. 

Thanks a million for all of this great advice! I've been going crazy trying to figure it out...

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,911 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:08 PM

Impossible to say without a full review (which you can't get here). If only 7 pages are indexed, and there are a lot more than that, then something is terribly wrong. Most likely something technical. 

If you don't know how to diagnose technical issues then you probably need to hire someone who can. ScreamingFrog will provide tons of clues as will your Google Webmaster Tools account. Have you looked there?

#7 bear1111

bear1111

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:41 AM

I'm really new to this, but do any of the pages have a noindex nofollow tag? I've seen this happen on accident before with new sites replacing old ones. Just a thought.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!