• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Source Order And Seo In 2013?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LadynRed

LadynRed

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:12 AM

I think I know the answer, but wanted to get some input on this :).

We build sites for our company using a CMS, all our sites are built with HTML5. The seo/sem person who was brought in continues to insist that all of our site designs are "crap" because source order is all "wrong" - side bars and navs coming before main content areas, etc. This guy also thinks keyword metatags still matter too.. :ohno: . I find myself in disagreement with him a lot. I'm no 'expert' in seo/sem, tracking rankings etc. but I do read a lot and try to keep up with this ever-shifting area, and I've been building websites since 1997, so I'm far from new at this.

So, does the source order really matter these days as far as indexing and ranking is concerned?

From what I'm reading, the answer is - not so much, if at all. Google indexes a lot more of a page than it once did (was it only 100kb of a page?). Google has evolved and is also 'smart' enough to get the relevant content on a page. 

Thanks!!

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,872 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:43 PM

Hi Diane,

So, does the source order really matter these days as far as indexing and ranking is concerned?

Not at all and it never really did. Google has evolved way past that stage, their systems have got to the point where they can analyse documents in 'visual' rendering order and determine the content 'value' from where it appears "on the page" rather than the source order.

Even the idea that content ordering was 'important' came from "experts" mis-understanding why the text snippet in the results often came from the navigation text when running the site:domain.tld special search.

• Jill likes this

#3 LadynRed

LadynRed

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:22 PM

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the affirmation. I'll have to look up some info on the 'visual rendering' order because I want to show that this guy is just stuck in the past and we don't have to tie ourselves in knots  re-desiging our sites based on his outdated methods. It's bad enough he re-writes headings that scream 'seo person wrote this...' and every other word out of his mouth is 'keywords'.. lol.

This guy actually sat in a meeting and said 'we build websites for search engines'.. gaaahhh! :rolleyes:

• Jill likes this

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,872 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:46 PM

Some Matt Cutts stuff for ammo, :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0fgh5RIHdE

#5 LadynRed

LadynRed

HR 1

• Members