• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

How To Do Seo For My Affilate Pages Which I Have No Admin Control ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 madhava

madhava

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:58 PM

I am a distributor for a company which sells it's products through independent distributors. The company has a website and distributors each have their own product pages on the site, where their unique url is something like www.companyname/distributorname/productname. Distributors have no administrative control over these pages, they basically cannot add or change anything except for their name on the page and their distributor ID in the url. So there's no way to optimize page content with keywords or anything like that.

I am only a beginner in SEO, so I have no idea how you can get your affiliate url to rank high on the search engines in a situation like this (other than blogging and backlinks). I see though that some distributors have managed somehow to get their affiliate pages ranking high on Google. Common searches for the company's products will usually contain the company name and the unique product names, so the search terms are pretty specific, and these terms are also in the url, which is what I'm guessing is a major factor in these affiliate pages' ranking high. However, there are many distributors, or affiliates, but only a few have their pages listing in search results (specifically Google). In fact when I search Google for my own affiliate url's, there are none listed. Same for other affiliates, except for these few who are listing high. They have listings for all the different products. The only thing I can think of why it is so, is that these affiliates have manually submitted all their url's to Google and the others have not. I'm just starting to do this myself so it will be some time to see if that's what it is.

I am aware of course of the usual means of blogging and posting your links all over the internet. However, when I put these high ranking affiliates url's in the Google search I do not really find any blog posts or backlinks to these url's. So it's a mystery as to how these urls' are coming up on top.

Other than manually submittiing each url to Google, what else might these affiliates be doing to get their pages listing high in Google ? Any suggestions would be much appreciated,

Thanks, Mike

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,003 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:44 PM

It's highly doubtful that under those circumstances you'll be able to gain much (if any) organic search engine traffic. I would look to doing social media, paid search and other forms of marketing and advertising if I were you. 

#3 madhava

madhava

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:58 PM

Thanks for the advise. Somehow or other though, there are like I said, a few affiliates who are gettings top organic listings.

#4 copywriter

copywriter

HR 7

• 1,856 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:51 PM

The only thing I can think of that ****might**** be contributing to their rankings is the amount of traffic being driven there from back links combined with social media mentions. But I agree with Jill... it would be difficult to do with virtually no control over the content of the page.

#5 Graham

Graham

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:11 AM

Hi Mike

As a long time affiliate marketer the advice I would give you is this:

Imagine standing in front of a potential customer with your own hand pointing back at yourself.  You have 1 finger pointing at you and 3 fingers pointing at your potential customer.  You have to GIVE GIVE GIVE to receive ONCE.  What I mean by this, generate something of value or of use for your client.  What can you do that the other affiliates are not?  How can you offer your customers something that they are not?

As an example, if you are selling a blue widget then create a separate website or blog that is all about the niche surrounding the blue widget.  Go social too, engage with the communities around the blue widget niche.  Create a site that pulls together useful information from around that niche and presents it in such a way that your readers will want to keep reading, share your information and then trust you.  THEN, using your authority shepherd your customers to your affiliate page.

That's a small step in the right direction.

#6 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:39 AM

Google doesn't like to show the same page over and over again in their search results. They will pick one (or a small handful) to show and filter out the rest. As Karon said, it's likely the ones that are showing are the ones that have the most "traction" in terms of legitimate inbound links, social media mentions, traffic/clicks, etc.

In other words, it's going to be really hard for you to break through. Whatever it is they're doing, you'll have to not only catch up, but figure out how to do it even better. A lot better. (And keep in mind, there are no guarantees -- you could execute 99% of it perfectly and still not show up in Google's organic search.)

Jill and Graham are right -- you've got to come up with something (a blog or other website, for instance) that's uniquely yours that you can use to generate interest/traffic indirectly for your affiliate pages. You'll probably need to invest in advertising to drive traffic as well. (And not just online advertising, although that is a component of it. Don't neglect "real world" advertising and promotional opportunities.) This has a much higher chance of success than waiting for organic search rankings that may well never come.

The main advantage to their strategies, of course, is that not relying on search for your traffic and sales puts your fate much more in your own hands rather than leaving you to the "tender mercies" of Google. I can't tell you how many times in the wake of a Google update we've had business owners come in here crying about how they've lost all their rankings, all their traffic and all their revenue. It happens, even to people who haven't knowingly done anything "wrong." Sometimes they were skating on thin ice without being aware of the danger; other times they were merely collateral damage. The point is, Google doesn't "owe" anybody anything in terms of placement in the organic search results. Business owners can cry and complain and stamp their feet and threaten to hold their breath until they turn blue -- Google is going to do what Google thinks it needs to do to maintain the integrity of their SERPs, without regard to what happens to individual business owners.

It sounds heartless, and in a way it is. Google is a collection of computer algorithms, none of which were programmed with a "don't hurt this small business because they're nice people" clause. Search traffic should always be the icing on the cake at dessert, not the main course of the meal.

Rankings come and rankings go, but a good overall marketing plan will carry you through for the long haul.

--Torka :oldfogey:

#7 Graham

Graham

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:48 AM

Traction. I like it. It's my new word. :)
  • torka likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!