• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Still At It

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jrdam

jrdam

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:38 AM

Hello All,

It has been a while since I was last here but I am still plugging away at the SEO and site promotion side of things.  My own link and content building efforts are coming along just fine but the process is slow.  I have found that there are people and outfits out there who offer reasonably priced services to do some or all of the following

• Get you xK views to your YouTube video channel.
  • Get you xK organic search hits on a choice of keywords
  • Build "Link Wheels".

It all sounds very nice and they appear to have good reviews.  However, is it a case of being "too good to be true" so it probably isn't?

#2 Alan Perkins

Alan Perkins

Token male admin

• Admin
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:55 AM

Whether it's true or not, it's useless. Preying on false hopes and aspirations.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,774 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:40 AM

And will likely get your site penalized. 

#4 jrdam

jrdam

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:46 AM

So by and large the message I get here is this: Create good content, make sure it all works well and looks good and be patient.  Create genuine backlinks when you can. Get reviewed if you can. Provide peripheral resources that are of interest to get viewers in indirectly.  And.... be patient?  In the mean time do paid advertising if your pocket can handle it.

Don't bother 

1. Getting artificial (even though human) "views" for your videos
  2. Building link wheels
  3. Getting "Likes"

I have generally found the advice I have got on this forum to be good.  If all of the above is confirmed then I at least know where to go next.

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,433 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:19 AM

Consider it confirmed :)

• jrdam likes this

#6 jrdam

jrdam

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:26 AM

Consider it confirmed :)

Thank you!

Ummm... just one thing springs to mind though.  If all of that is true then what precisely do SEO outfits, such as Jill's, actually do?  All of those techniques are out of the window so that pretty much leaves good organic page content and I imagine that there are people out there who require advice on getting that content right.  Anything else?

#7 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,547 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:34 AM

Making sure it's all easily indexed, that you're avoiding duplicate content, that page titles and meta data are unique and on-topic, that your information architecture does a good job of both guiding users through the site and indicating which pages should be considered more important than others, dealing with content in multiple languages, multiple documents that should be treated as sets, that you're not missing out on potential traffic by failing to include content optimized for particular, popular keyword phrases, that you're converting visitors into customers...

#8 jrdam

jrdam

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:51 AM

Thanks.  What meta data are still relevant in the Panda/Penguin world.  My understanding has been that search engines pretty much discount any content, e.g. keyword meta tags, that a human viewer is not going to see since it has been subjected to so much abuse and is liable to be easily irrelevant.

#9 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,774 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:05 AM

They have ignored the meta keyword tag for years. It's not a panda thing.

#10 jrdam

jrdam

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:40 AM

Thank you, Jill.  

A question related to duplicate content.  I have some duplicate content for reasons that are perfectly legit.  I am providing a user guide to a webapp on-screen reading in HTML format that is a conversion of a print ready PDF version.  I have links to both the HTML and the PDF version.  Is there something I need to do to not be penalized for duplicate content.  Perhaps mark the PDF link as no-follow?

#11 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,548 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:30 AM

Exclude the PDF in your robots.txt file would probably be the most reliable way.

--Torka :propeller:

#12 jrdam

jrdam

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:19 AM

Thanks

#13 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:12 AM

100% avoid them. I can 100% gaurantee that their 'marketing SEM strategy' will be to fire up several black hat tools that will scrape, multi post, spin text and deploy other well known black hat tricks. These kinda worked pre-Panda but Ithink G is smarter these days.

Dont go with them. You might get results but they will be short term gains with long term losses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!